"Why you should build your own"

Yami

Lady Techie
I was wondering, do we have a "Why you should build your own" sticky thread or guide (I wasn't able to find one), and if not, does anyone mind if I begin one?

There isnt one. Main reason is simple. It is a personal choice. While it may save money, the fact is this. Not everyone should build their own PC. They might not have the critical knowledge to understand what to do and what not to do. They may not know or understand all the components, how to troubleshoot if something goes wrong, how to make sure everything is connected properly and all the other little things that go into building. It isnt just as simple as saving money. Some people have no right and flat out shouldnt be putting together a PC. Harsh but true. Last thing we would want people to do is read such a thread, see information about how to jump a PSU to test out something and end up hurting themselves very badly cause they dont know or understand what jumping a PSU really means and the dangers present with doing such a thing.

In order to properly do such a guide, we would need to cover all of this stuff. Starting at PC 101 and going all the way up from there. Without all the information it can be improperly used and honestly I dont want it on the site unless it has such information. I dont want to see someone coming from a Google Search finding that thread thinking they can do it when they barely know how to turn on a PC. Just cause they want to save themselves money. That is not the right way to do this.

So unless we can come up with a way to cover everything, including the dangers, then it will not be posted.

That makes sense. Since we'd have to include so much information, any of the actual subject matter would be diluted.

I don't see why it would include info on jumping PSUs, though? I was just thinking of giving a few quick reasons (price, you get to choose the parts (so then quality and peace of mind), simpler than you'd think).

Perhaps if we also included some reasons and incidences where you shouldn't build your own? Presumably they'd go before the reasons for.

I see your point, but do we have to keep explaining over and over again why this is beneficial?

Can't think of a way to failsafe that. :umm:

Edit: As Yami said, we are not telling them HOW to build a computer, only the benefit thereof.

(unless I'm misinterpreter him)

Your not seeing the whole picture. Let me show you.

My wife searches on Google. Find the thread about the benefits of building your own. Sees how it is very beneficial. She wants to surprise me but knows nothing about how to build a PC. But now she is determined to build her own. So now the questions come in on HOW to build it after we tell her WHY she should.

You only look at step 1 of this entire process. You are not thinking that people will find this, and take it to step 2 and ask how to do it for themselves cause of the benefits. Which will then lead to everything i have discussed above. It will lead to the how to cause people will want to know because of this thread.

No offense, KSoD, but isn't this exact same thing posted 1 million times all over the net? I mean, we won't be the first. If not by us, it's very easy to get the info elsewhere.

Not saying you should allow this, just my 2 cents.

Are we all over the net or are we just at Tech-Forums.net? I could care less what is posted 1 million, 1 trillion or 1 zillion trillion billion million times all over the net. We are not the entire internet, we are one site and we have control over what we have. We have no control over what the rest of the world does.

You clearly dont get it. I have seen you loss patience with some new members cause they dont listen. Lets add that on top of the whole not knowing what they are doing and just see what happens shall we? If you want to go to one of those other 1 million sites and guide these people, go ahead. But i will not let this site be responsible for someone getting hurt when they dont know what they are doing. The term is full disclosure for a reason.

It is for reasons like this that I am in the position I am. I think ahead and dont just think with what is in front of me. This has potential for real harm. This has potential to put the site at risk. I will not allow that. I will not allow anyone to give advise on how to build a PC and see that turn into something harmful or worse.

I dont care that you dont agree. That is the decision. Let them get it elsewhere and let that site be put at risk for someone getting hurt. I will not allow Tech-Forums to be that place. It is all or nothing when it comes to this. They come to Tech-Forums for good advise and for knowledge. I have no issue with us teaching and helping people out. But i am not about to just slap together a topic about why to build without having all information present about things that need to be known about building as well. Building a PC isnt just slapping some parts into a case and pressing the power button. It shouldnt be taken lightly like that either.

uhm, interesting views,ideas.
i see both points and agree that both are valid (or good/correct).

PS. Alex didn't say 'no', IMO, he was saying... IF its going to be done.... it needs to be done the right way (best/correct way). To give the "whole" story, not only part of the information one needs to know.

here is my take on the topic:
1) if people don't find what they are looking for, they will find it else where on the net.
2) IMO, various parts or sections for the "... build your own ..." topic are needed, such as
-- Benefits of building your own
-- why you shouldn't build your own
-- requirements to build your own
-- tips to build your own
-- how to build your own
-- step by step on building your own computer

now i may have been a little granular or NOT enough :)

anyway, i think the 1st step before doing anything like this is:
a) find something you like that ALREADY existing on the web
b) and then, Do It Better! (otherwise, what's the point or value?)

I'm sure there are TONS of guides, tutorials, etc. that explain this stuff, however, they probably cause more problems than they solve.

Back
Top Bottom