Why don't we have a chat system? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Why don't we have a chat system?

Well on some other forums i go to there is an option for chat on the site, i guess sites have their own internal IRC thing going on, althoguh one site says it doesn't use IRC so i'm not sure what chat program they use. The point is that i find chat is a really great addition to a site because it makes getting to know one another a lot easier, also since this is partly a help site having an area in chat called " tech support" would allow people to get "live" help with their problems.

how come when i go over a users name there are options like " view public profile", "send private message", "find more posts buy" etc, yet none of these ever work, there aren't even links when you click them.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!
Default Re: Why don't we have a chat system?

not gonna lie, i was thinking about this last night and wondering why we didn't ahve one and how we should get one. and i dunno why the user links don't work, but if you right click and open in new window/tab it works fine.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

We did have a Vent server, but that didn't work out so well since Mikesgroovin left for TOV (I think he made it?)

and we then tried a IRC Chat Server (look it up) and then that failed too because nobody actually got on

Join the T.F. IRC Channel
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 05-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The vent server has always belonged to ToV TF has not ever had a vent server.

Chat would be nice but IRC is a no no in my opinion a link in the top line that launches a java based pop up like back in the old days would be nice. I know when TF was still run by Chopper Tech-Haven (TF's sister sight) had one.
Visit this and do something for the world!

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
T.F's Resident Cool Guy...
Send a message via AIM to Yek Send a message via MSN to Yek Send a message via Yahoo to Yek

Here we go again.... sometimes I think I imagined VBull inserted a search feature...
Old 05-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

One big problem with a chat room is that it would have to have a babysitter 24/7. Maybe not for the flaming and such, but for spammers. One way around that would be to require a minimum post count to join in, though.

Attempts at this is the past started with people using it for the first few days, and then it was a ghost town.

That is why members can register their IM handles... so other members can IM them. Most IM services allow for multiple-person chats. If you use a multi-client IM program like I do (Trillian), you can chat with people on several different IM services.

**EDIT** Oh, and, yes, a search would have yielded these answers. Too bad we don't have one. Oh, wait... **/EDIT**

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 05-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

oh search function,oops.....:happy:

The main reason i was asking was actually because when, sometime in the summer i really really hope, i finally build me a whole new comp(never done so before) i'll probably need quite a bit of help. I thought a chat system would be cool for that, although i guess i could add people on windows messanger that were willing to assist me.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

There is a chat system

You have to have AIM installed. Then you just send an IM to 'peterhuang913' and it's almost always live.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

IRC with PjIRC or CGI:IRC would be pretty cool.
Antec 300 Illusion
430w Antec Earthwatts
AMD Q4 640 Propus
2x4gb Patriot DDR3 1333
750gb Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive
Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Private Joker

Originally Posted by peterhuang913 View Post
There is a chat system

You have to have AIM installed. Then you just send an IM to 'peterhuang913' and it's almost always live.
What a coincidence! It seems that if you have either AIM or MSN installed, and add the names in my profile, it works the same as the one you posted as mine are almost always live too! Amazing how technology works .

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Closed Thread