Where the Line Falls - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,507
Default Re: Where the Line Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I was under the impression that Jailbreaking and Rooting was now illegal? I haven't been keeping up on that but that was the last I heard.
Phones, no. Tablets, yes (because they weren't included in the ruling).

Unlocking however is now illegal (was previously legal).
__________________

__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: Where the Line Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I was under the impression that Jailbreaking and Rooting was now illegal? I haven't been keeping up on that but that was the last I heard.
Exactly what Carnage said. Unlocking a phone for international use, is now illegal. Rooting a phone doesnt give you unlocking. Heck even unlocking the boot loader does not give you international usage. But what it does give you is full use of the device to do what you want with it.

Which is exactly what JailBreaking does. You can use the device to do what you want with it. But you cant just pop in an international SIM card into it and have it work. It would still require the unlock code from the carrier.

So you may be thinking of the Unlocking aspect that has everyone up in arms, the part that carriers now reserve the right to leave a device locked to their service and not provide an unlock code for World use.

Rooting/JailBreaking is still completely legal and only thing it does is void your warranty....
__________________

__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,285
Default Re: Where the Line Falls

Hmm if that's the case then everybody on FB *****ing about not being able to Jailbreak/Root are idiots. Although I just Googled and apparently you can't Jailbreak the iPad anymore.
I need to look into the further gray areas because I'm unlocked but still on the same carrier.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: Where the Line Falls

If you unlocked before Jan 26th, then you are safe. It is only since then that Carriers have the right to deny the unlock codes. There is no saying that they will. If you have a contract phone and have been with the company ~30-60 days, all you have to do is call them. Tell them you are traveling out of country and need the unlock code. If your account is in good standing, they will 90% of the time give you the unlock code for world use. Some companies say 90 days though.

As far as not being able to JailBreak something, that is only cause Apple has released iOS 6.1.1 (if I remember correctly) and that has locked the Jailbroken devices. It is only a matter of time before someone releases a JailBreak method for them again. I have seen the jailbreaks be from the day after a release to 60 days later.

I would say that the people just dont understand the full terminology about what is being stated. This article here:

It's Now Illegal to Unlock Your Cellphone - ABC News

Is a perfect read through on what exactly is illegal in regards to "unlocking" a phone. Rooting/Jailbreaking is only giving the user Root or Admin rights. Nothing more. It is just like unlocking the hidden Admin account in Windows Vista, Win7 and Win8.
__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,507
Default Re: Where the Line Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
Is a perfect read through on what exactly is illegal in regards to "unlocking" a phone. Rooting/Jailbreaking is only giving the user Root or Admin rights. Nothing more. It is just like unlocking the hidden Admin account in Windows Vista, Win7 and Win8.
Exactly.

All rooting really is, is just installing the SU binaries available on normal Linux platform, into the Android OS, which then gives you root privileges (hence the name "rooted").
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,285
Default Re: Where the Line Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
If you unlocked before Jan 26th, then you are safe. It is only since then that Carriers have the right to deny the unlock codes. There is no saying that they will. If you have a contract phone and have been with the company ~30-60 days, all you have to do is call them. Tell them you are traveling out of country and need the unlock code. If your account is in good standing, they will 90% of the time give you the unlock code for world use. Some companies say 90 days though.

As far as not being able to JailBreak something, that is only cause Apple has released iOS 6.1.1 (if I remember correctly) and that has locked the Jailbroken devices. It is only a matter of time before someone releases a JailBreak method for them again. I have seen the jailbreaks be from the day after a release to 60 days later.

I would say that the people just dont understand the full terminology about what is being stated. This article here:

It's Now Illegal to Unlock Your Cellphone - ABC News

Is a perfect read through on what exactly is illegal in regards to "unlocking" a phone. Rooting/Jailbreaking is only giving the user Root or Admin rights. Nothing more. It is just like unlocking the hidden Admin account in Windows Vista, Win7 and Win8.
Except the article I read said literally it's illegal to Jailbreak the iPad but not the iPhone or iPod. Not that I really care as I'll never own an Apple device, but just what it said.

My situation is this, early last year I bought the GS2 refurb for 10 bucks and had a contract with them. That got screwed so I went to a GoPhone SIM. I already had the custom ROM and had it SIM unlocked. I called the lady and told them I couldn't text at all on their Pantech device (which was the most expensive one at the time) and that I would much prefer my other phone. I didn't specify what it was at all. I told her I tried to put it in the phone and that it recognized the SIM but I got no signal. She said that's because the SIM is locked to the other phone and she will just unlock it for any phone I wish to use. I think my wording was key there, but that's how I'm using a GoPhone SIM on my GS2 and have been for almost a year straight.

See why I was wondering? My phone is technically "unlocked" (I can put any SIM in it, and I can put that GoPhone SIM in any GSM phone) but I'm still on the ATT network with an ATT SIM with an ATT phone.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: Where the Line Falls

Technically the article is right. It is illegal to jailbreak the iPad. If we want to get ultra technical, the iPod would fall under that as well. Since it is not a phone nor carrier device like the iPhone which is covered by the ruling.

Again, you fall before the mark of Jan 26, 2013 when it became illegal for the phone world unlocking. It doesnt matter the situation. You were completely legal to ask for the unlock code. I know several carriers that still hand them out even though it is technically illegal. I called AT&T and got a phone unlocked for a Canadian just last week.

So it can still be done and it can still be done by AT&T, T-Mo, Verizon and Sprint if they so choose. The only thing that has changed, is it is up to the carrier. It is their discretion on if they want to or not. You get a bad Service Rep and they wont do it at all. Hang up, call again and you might get one that time that will do it, no questions asked.

The law is simply stating that the consumer cant use that as an argument if they buy a phone locked to a specific carrier that it must be unlocked by them for use with another service. They have the right to deny that now. But the chances are you will still find a Service Rep that is willing to give it to you. Might take a call or 3, but it can and will happen.
__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran
 
Thorax_the_Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
Technically the article is right. It is illegal to jailbreak the iPad. If we want to get ultra technical, the iPod would fall under that as well. Since it is not a phone nor carrier device like the iPhone which is covered by the ruling.

Again, you fall before the mark of Jan 26, 2013 when it became illegal for the phone world unlocking. It doesnt matter the situation. You were completely legal to ask for the unlock code. I know several carriers that still hand them out even though it is technically illegal. I called AT&T and got a phone unlocked for a Canadian just last week.

So it can still be done and it can still be done by AT&T, T-Mo, Verizon and Sprint if they so choose. The only thing that has changed, is it is up to the carrier. It is their discretion on if they want to or not. You get a bad Service Rep and they wont do it at all. Hang up, call again and you might get one that time that will do it, no questions asked.

The law is simply stating that the consumer cant use that as an argument if they buy a phone locked to a specific carrier that it must be unlocked by them for use with another service. They have the right to deny that now. But the chances are you will still find a Service Rep that is willing to give it to you. Might take a call or 3, but it can and will happen.
What's the justification for jailbreaking an iPad or iPod touch to be illegal though?
Thorax_the_Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,507
Default Re: Where the Line Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorax_the_Impaler View Post
What's the justification for jailbreaking an iPad or iPod touch to be illegal though?
The law that made smartphones legal for jailbreaking/rooting explicitly state that tablets/multimedia devices were allowed as well, so that's a bit of a gray-area.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Minecraft Veteran
 
Thorax_the_Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post

The law that made smartphones legal for jailbreaking/rooting explicitly state that tablets/multimedia devices were allowed as well, so that's a bit of a gray-area.
Do you think anyone could blow enough smoke for somebody to get in legal trouble for doing so?
__________________

Thorax_the_Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
modification, rules, software

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.