Whats happening with the Forums.

Hey, never been here for a long time lol, just logged on to find out if theres still any news on this, almost three years later!

Yeah I feel like the site owners went AWOL... I have some spare time I can dedicate to overhauling the site. I can even host the test infrastructure. I mean we're on vBulletin v3.8.8 for christs sake.. And it's 2018 (almost 2019!) and Techist only has HTTPS on the login page. That's mildly ridiculous.

At one point there was talks of migrating to Xenforo, which would have been great. But alas...just like all the other owners, nothing came to fruition. I remember you and I even volunteering a bit to do some work if needed since we're developers. Didn't take us up on that either.

My personal thoughts are they are just in it for the money. Make a steady income from what coin the site does generate and invest very little.

I can easily imagine the only reason the login page was changed too https was for legal reasons so they don't have any trouble from a law suit .

I wonder, how hard it would be to grab all the data from the website and make one... Seeing as the current owners really have no plans to do anything, or even try to make the site profitable.

You'll have to re-name the forum but it could be doable...I'm sure there's some kinda copyright stuff you'll run into if you don't
XenForo License $140*

Includes 12 months of ticket support and upgrades. Support and upgrade access can currently be extended for $40 for an additional 12 months (see details). Bulk discounts are also available. (details)
Of course the current users would have to pool in a few bucks to make it possible but it's not that outrageous of a cost

Back
Top Bottom