Use of Visitor Messages in members' profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what Visitor Messages are supposed to be used for and what should, or should not, be posted in them. Visitor messages are meant to be used like comments on MySpace or Facebook, not for airing dirty laundry. If a member has a problem with another member or a member of the mod team, this should be handled by PM or email (both of which are located in the Contact Info tab of a member's profile), not through Visitor Messages.

Anyone using visitor messages to air a grievance will be warned ONE TIME that doing so constitutes spam as far as Tech-Forums is concerned. Any further acts of such will then be treated as spam with the accompanying infraction(s) and suspension(s). Private matters should remain private matters.

Under Edit Options in the UserCP there is a check box for "Limit usage of Visitor Messages to Contacts and Moderators." This will only allow a member's friends and the mod staff to post Visitor Messages. I urge member's who have had this problem to set their's to this option.

Are newly registered members allowed to post visitor messages by default?
Or do they have to exceed the 40post mark first?

Just wondered how this was setup.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

I just checked. New users could post Visitor Massages in others' profiles, but not no longer. New members can post in their own profiles, though.

Thanks for asking, Tkey... that was a hole that would have been an inlet for spam.

Aye ;)
Just dawned on me when you mentioned the "Dirty Laundry" ;)

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom