Too much 'Hit & Run'. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Too much 'Hit & Run'.

There are an increasing number of people with less than 2 dozen Posts who tear through here and only increase the noise. They may have "Keyboard Bash" Names (EG: kjkldgf) or their first few Posts are marked by entering a Thread without reading it and trying to cut someone (or their idea) down (without adding something that would actually be a better idea and helpful). Often they must express their thoughts with 'star-words'.

Some feel no need to abide by the Rules, example: Need Windows 7! that apply to most Places and realize not what type of Place we try to make this.

I hate to add more work for the Mods but could the first dozen Posts be moderated before they appear. If it looks like they would be a poor addition to our Community could they be given a few tips or pointed towards the Rules (or the Door).

There seems a lot of 'Hit & Run' around here this past week - they come to mess around, add a User to our list, then disappear.

If they have just one or two Posts I feel a reluctance to answer even reasonable questions since every time I do they can't take the effort to even post a thanks. It is as though they don't know to check back on their Thread and your advice falls on deaf ears.

When you Google to find them an answer you can see they have posted the question in a few other Forums over the past couple of days also, they must have their answer quick and no time for a Thank You Letter.

http://img.tineye.com/result/adb2576...a2f274a8433fda Got a question, try the Search Bar.
4P_Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Too much 'Hit & Run'.

We already moderate new users to an extent, I believe we used to moderate more posts than we do now but we found that due to timezone differences and the number of staff on the site, reviewing the flood of incoming moderated posts was too much. The staff here are all volunteers, we have real jobs/lives that need attention too

Most of the people I help out do reply letting me know if the advice I (or another) gave helped or not
HELP ME!!
Selling Computer help
starting .exe process from remote computer
etc

There are always gonna be people posting who couldn't give a darn about how they get help so long as they get it, unfortunately that's just the way some people are and we can't do much to change that. If a post reads in a negative way or if they're extremely impatient and bump their thread every hour I'll just leave it alone and help someone who can manage to put together a considerate post

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Summer time is here (in the northern hemisphere) which means school is out, which brings around a lot more of this kind of thing.

I have been thinking of writing up a little something to put on the Home page. Hopefully I will get to in the next few days.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

New people rarely read the rules. They just go on the site, look around and post. I really think we need more mods here. To take the load off you guys. Just sayin'
Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
New people rarely read the rules. They just go on the site, look around and post.
This.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Is there not a way to do a test upon signup of the basic rules to see if they should have moderated posts or not?
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

I know that if they post links and their post count is under a certain amount their posts are moderated (or it was when I was still a Mod at least).

As far as making everyone's posts moderated under a certain amount... the staff would just be too busy. We would have to look over and approve a lot of posts per day, and people would be waiting for us to do that so they can get their question answered, which in turn could just make them go to another forum (point of a message board getting and keeping members is giving quick, quality answers to questions...that's what keeps members around).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Honestly, who cares if they hit and run.

You've pointed out the extreme minority of first time users, and make it seem like its nearly all of them are pirates vand bad folks.

Most people could care less about using a tech forum every day, so they come, get help, leave... They get another issue the come back and get more help.

The sites great, not to huge, and it keeps the skript kiddies and haters away.

There barely a flaming war or post and has a great atmosphere...

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
I know that if they post links and their post count is under a certain amount their posts are moderated (or it was when I was still a Mod at least).

As far as making everyone's posts moderated under a certain amount... the staff would just be too busy. We would have to look over and approve a lot of posts per day, and people would be waiting for us to do that so they can get their question answered, which in turn could just make them go to another forum (point of a message board getting and keeping members is giving quick, quality answers to questions...that's what keeps members around).
Exactly. The plugin looks for certain words and will automatically moderate those posts by new members. Having EVERY post by new members moderated is a nightmare because when they do not see their post they repost it... and repost it, and... yeah.

It's been nuts today so I haven't had time to write something up. Maybe tomorrow will be slower...

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

This thread looks like a good place for me to Hit and Run