T-F funding - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Logan, WV
Posts: 2,503
Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer
Default Re: T-F funding

I found some website before that keeps track of traffic and stuff and estimates T-F averages about $90 a day from ad revenue. Which is $2700/month. It also listed the website they get their hosting/servers from. And the servers ranged from $300-900 a month. So I highly doubt the website is really in need of money.

Not trying to be a jerk or buzzkill.....Just saying I think the website can pay for itself.
__________________

__________________

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
wafflehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: T-F funding

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflehammer View Post
I found some website before that keeps track of traffic and stuff and estimates T-F averages about $90 a day from ad revenue. Which is $2700. It also listed the website they get their hosting/servers from. And the servers ranged from $300-900 a month. So I highly doubt the website is really in need of money.

Not trying to be a jerk or buzzkill.....Just saying I think the website can pay for itself.
I know of those websites and lets just say that they are in-accurate in every estimate. 1 site tells you that the site makes $90 a day in ads, another says $50 and yet another says over $100. not a single one of them knows for a fact about the ads or how often they are clicked. As they are only seen by guests. Just like that site is when it comes here to do the estimate.

Not a single person that is logged in sees any ads. There is a loss of revenue from ad clicks from how many people on any given day? I can flat out tell you that i know for a fact that this site does not pull in $90 a day from as revenue. It doesnt even get half of that.

It also doesnt take into consideration that Larry owns the server. He bought it himself and has it housed in a Center. So it cost him money for the server, then monthly charges to have it housed, then monthly charges for bandwidth. Not to forget the charges for the vB software that we run.

I could go on but i think i made the point very clear. While the site is not in dire need fo funding, it is in no way as great off as those sites are estimating. I can say for a fact that the ad revenue has not even covered the cost of the server as of yet.

Not trying to be a buzzkill or anything. But i happen to know a few more facts than those sites do.
__________________

__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Logan, WV
Posts: 2,503
Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer
Default Re: T-F funding

I'm sorry but I can't believe that. Just by looking this through thread the earliest member is office politics ...joining January 2004. Which puts this site at being at least 7 years old. And you say the ad revenue hasn't even paid for the server? So either the site brings in <$20/month or the server cost >$2000...Neither of which I can see as being plausible.

Anyway it goes....If the site was putting Larry into debt it wouldn't be around...or even the members would be seeing ads.
__________________

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
wafflehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/
 
Trotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 31,302
Default Re: T-F funding

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.wired View Post
Ahh booo let's have an all out anarchy area!
There ya go. Free of charge.

You're welcome.
__________________


My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard


R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
S0ULphIRE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 8,659
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: T-F funding

rofl
__________________
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #26 (permalink)
Lady Techie
 
Yami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 7,772
Default Re: T-F funding

lol - I'm curious as to this sotry of the previous anarvhy area? :P (on holifay using an ergonomic keyboard whih I can't change the position of )
__________________
Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone Galaxy S7 Edge

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #27 (permalink)
Equator Gringo
 
james.wired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Panama
Posts: 2,318
Default Re: T-F funding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
There ya go. Free of charge.

You're welcome.
AT LAST !!
__________________

PII 940 :: 5870 :: Rage powered
james.wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: T-F funding

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflehammer View Post
I'm sorry but I can't believe that. Just by looking this through thread the earliest member is office politics ...joining January 2004. Which puts this site at being at least 7 years old. And you say the ad revenue hasn't even paid for the server? So either the site brings in <$20/month or the server cost >$2000...Neither of which I can see as being plausible.

Anyway it goes....If the site was putting Larry into debt it wouldn't be around...or even the members would be seeing ads.
That is because you dont take into consideration that the Server we are using is NOT 7 years old. It was just bought less than 2 years ago. In fact if i am correct it is less than 1 year old now. So that means we switched servers, and Larry bought a new one!

So yes it IS totally possible that the ad revenue has not paid for the server. Wow shocking how that can be. Notice yet again how the information your are using is not accurate?

Sorry waffle but i dont just make comments like i am for no reason. I know information that you dont. Your just jumping to conclusions.
__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
Bake a Pretty Cake!
 
Spit-wad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 904
Default Re: T-F funding

Don't want to go too off-topic on this thread, but since some people in here seem to be knowledgeable about this topic, perhaps you could answer some ad revenue questions for me:
Advertisement Revenue

Also I would be interested in some type of a paid subscription with bonus features, if tech-forums needs the extra cash.
__________________
Spit-wad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Logan, WV
Posts: 2,503
Send a message via AIM to wafflehammer
Default Re: T-F funding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213 View Post
That is because you dont take into consideration that the Server we are using is NOT 7 years old. It was just bought less than 2 years ago. In fact if i am correct it is less than 1 year old now. So that means we switched servers, and Larry bought a new one!

So yes it IS totally possible that the ad revenue has not paid for the server. Wow shocking how that can be. Notice yet again how the information your are using is not accurate?

Sorry waffle but i dont just make comments like i am for no reason. I know information that you dont. Your just jumping to conclusions.
Well, for all this information you have you're sure not sharing any but are so willing to shoot down other's information.

You say it hasn't paid of THE(usually when people say the they mean 1 as in singular...or even THE serverS) but then point out I'm inaccurate even though you didn't even provide all the information. And even then you didn't say how long the server around, you made it sound like it was there from the beginning.

Not trying to pick a fight with you, and I understand you know a lot more than I do about the situation...but it's annoying when people go on about how much they know and how little everyone else knows..but refuse to share any of the information they supposedly know. it's like popping into a group of friends and saying you know someone's girlfriend/boyfriend is cheating on them..but then refuse to tell them.
__________________

__________________

Core i7 920 @ 3.0Ghz
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
6gb G.Skill 1600mhz/9-9-9-24
Corsair 750XT
EVGA GTX 260---216core
WD 640gb
14590 3dmarks @ stock
wafflehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DUKE NUKE'EM FOREVER .... It's finally offical.... Harper PC Gaming 27 05-19-2009 03:15 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.