System Specs add in. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: System Specs add in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
How about an add-on that can be applied to specific boards of the forum (i.e. troubleshooting etc.)? Can there be a form add-on in the New Thread screen that would have fields that could be filled out (but NOT required)?
Interesting idea.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
kmote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Hmmm... Interesting discussion. I see KSOD's concerns, and have my own in that could give spammers another inroad to TF. However I can also see it as something many in the community would like and enjoy. I am at work right now but I will look at a couple of ideas on this tonight.

Would you mind posting me a link,TJ?

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Identifying your current hardware for upgrades

Does that help for now, at least in upgrades? Maybe people will give it a read and include their validation in the post so we know what they're working with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Hmmm... Interesting discussion. I see KSOD's concerns, and have my own in that could give spammers another inroad to TF. However I can also see it as something many in the community would like and enjoy. I am at work right now but I will look at a couple of ideas on this tonight.

Would you mind posting me a link,TJ?

To OCN? Yes:

GTX 670 Unlocked Voltage Bios

Just a random thread I saw on OCN's homepage. Ignore the mess of a forum it is, but check out the OP's sig.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru

I didn't mean literally require it for registration. Just have it come up so they can fill it out. Even people who need help with virus's or new builds might need to list what they have in order for us to help them. I get tired of people complaining that we aren't helping fast enough when they wont feed us the information we need to help to begin with.
So you're saying, we can't have a reg page that pops up saying please enter your system specs so we can help you easier, while having a "Check this if you don't know" option to complete reg?

I don't know how forum structure works, so was just offering the idea. I come across so many threads that could be easily answered if we knew the specs, because even people building are sometimes just literally upgrading their old computer and can use old parts.

Edit: This is more what I was talking about besides sig.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_extreme View Post
Identifying your current hardware for upgrades

Does that help for now, at least in upgrades? Maybe people will give it a read and include their validation in the post so we know what they're working with?

To OCN? Yes:

GTX 670 Unlocked Voltage Bios

Just a random thread I saw on OCN's homepage. Ignore the mess of a forum it is, but check out the OP's sig.
That is an interesting plug in. If we could find it, that would be find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I didn't mean literally require it for registration. Just have it come up so they can fill it out. Even people who need help with virus's or new builds might need to list what they have in order for us to help them. I get tired of people complaining that we aren't helping fast enough when they wont feed us the information we need to help to begin with.
So you're saying, we can't have a reg page that pops up saying please enter your system specs so we can help you easier, while having a "Check this if you don't know" option to complete reg?

I don't know how forum structure works, so was just offering the idea. I come across so many threads that could be easily answered if we knew the specs, because even people building are sometimes just literally upgrading their old computer and can use old parts.

Edit: This is more what I was talking about besides sig.

PP, that is just user profile fields that are displayed under the username. The display aspect is a plugin, the rest is controlled by the forum. Believe me if it was so easy to just do it and not have it be complicated, I would have already.

Like I said I have to do some research. If I can find out how to add a drop down box selection option, and then how to add fields after that without making it overly complicated, I will do that. The selection option would be for Pre-Built or Self Built. If you select Pre-Built then you get 2 text fields. 1 for Make and the other for Model. If you select Self Built then I will have fields for various aspects. I need to know what is wanted though if this goes through as I plan.

I might even have a 3rd option for "Dont care not here for hardware" that way it wont even give them the option for the text fields and allow them to just get to the site faster. It will help reduce Spam, as no bots can fill in that info.

But you will have to give me some time to research and find out how much of a PITA it will be to do all of this with vB without using plugins.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Build Guru

Lol no problem. I didn't expect any results like over night or anything. Was just giving some suggestions so I can help people faster and better as I have nothing better to do than sit here and be on the forums and play games (besides raising my kid).

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Well if things go the way I plan, then it will be cool to do and some fun for all of us. But if things cant be done easily, then we will have to find another way to accomplish the goal without putting to much strain on new registrations.

It isnt going to be for a few days that I even begin my research. Since I got a new toy today I have to set it up and get it operating the way I want. Since today is the day that a certain item is available for a group of people, I was able to get my hands on a copy. So now comes installing and testing to see what works and what doesnt.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Build Guru

Care to elaborate?

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Ah who am I kidding. Windows 8 was released to MSDN and TechNet today. I got it and have it installed. I am installing software among other things to give it a test run.

1 thing I will say before people go off. If you use Bins from 1UP Industries as well as Tab Explorer, then Windows 8 will be great. No need for 8UI or the Start Menu.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Ooh tell us cool things, if you can ofc.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline   Reply With Quote