System Specs add in. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default System Specs add in.

I say we should have some form of system like TPU has to enter system specs that are easily accessible as hardly anybody puts specs in their sig anymore. For users that register for help they should be brought to a page to enter system specs so we can help them without waiting for hours on a reply to figure out what they are running. As I'm trying to help these people build rigs or troubleshoot it would make it a lot easier to just know right off the bat.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: System Specs add in.

I've said this before. I like the sig system spec thing that OCN has. Maybe we could have something similar for members in the 250+ posts section?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lady Techie

It's a rather bureaucratic turn but one I think that could be useful.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

So let me see if I get this right.

You want something setup where people have to enter their system specs into text fields to register correct? So what if they don't know cause they are not tech savvy and are not looking to build but get help with Windows or infections, which have nothing at all to do with system specs. These people should suffer for what possibly reason?

We can add in as many fields to the user profile as wanted/needed. But that doesn't mean that they will be used properly. That also doesn't mean that we should single out some members cause they don't know that type of information.

Plus to add in the fact that new members cant have signature till they reach 40 posts where they can get a 2 line text based signature. So that is why they don't put them in there, cause they cant.

I cant justify neglecting some potential members cause some want people to enter specs of a system they are running. It is possible that it could be added to the User Profiles, but there is no way it will be enforced upon registration. Not everyone knows their system specs and not everyone that registers on T&C Forums is here for system building only.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Wouldn't this be an add-on, not necessarily a requirement? Like same with AIM, MSN, Skype, they don't HAVE to fill it in.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
I cant justify neglecting some potential members cause some want people to enter specs of a system they are running. It is possible that it could be added to the User Profiles, but there is no way it will be enforced upon registration. Not everyone knows their system specs and not everyone that registers on T&C Forums is here for system building only.
Don't make it enforced then if it doesn't have to be. Just make it an option in the screen that can be filled out.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

You dont seem to understand, if we add it to the Registration, then it must be filled out in order to register. Those things like AIM and all that, those are just profile fields. They are not part of the Registration process. I know, I just went thru the registration process on our site the other day to test something out and then deleted that account.

So as I stated, it can be added to the profile fields, but it will not be part of the registration process. I am not going to lose members cause they dont know how to answer what GPU they have in their system.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

So, as a profile field, would you consider it?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Yes I would, but as stated already, there is nothing enforcing the people to use it. So while it can be added, that doesnt resolve the issue that PP has to start with. Cause if it is there and not being used, then it is useless and right back where we started.

If it is going to be done, then it should be done right. If I can check to see if there are options to first have a drop down menu that they can select pre-built or self built and from there have optional text fields, that would be more worth it. Cause if they select pre-built just have a single filed for Make and Model or a field for each and then separate the self built fields. This way the machine can be known about up front.

Plus honestly it makes no sense to me. If they are here looking to build, then what difference does it make what they currently run? I mean depending on what aspect of the build we are talking about there might be a total system replacement which makes knowing the current system useless as they want to replace it.

So really I am kinda confused as to what the purpose of having system specs will truly do. I dont spend much time in that area. But last time I checked if I was building, I was not worried about what I was currently running as that was being replaced by a single part of whole unit. Making knowing what I am responding with completely and utterly useless. So can someone explain to me why knowing what they currently have helps?

Maybe for some of the hardware trouble shooting things. But not for building...

Old 08-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Private Joker

How about an add-on that can be applied to specific boards of the forum (i.e. troubleshooting etc.)? Can there be a form add-on in the New Thread screen that would have fields that could be filled out (but NOT required)?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote