Something's Got To Be Done...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OIDanTheManIO

Fully Optimized
Lately on TF, it seems that it's the same thing over and over. Brand new members post threads, the same returning members post back, then the new members leave. We have got to find a way to get these people to stay on TF!

I'll go off on a limb and say that the majority of all TF members have 1-10 posts. Getting people to register in TF isn't the problem, it's getting them to stay and come back that is. Anybody have any ideas?

-Dan The Man

Oh good one! HAHA :p just kidding. No, we need to devise a plan that will make this new members say to themselves "hmm, I'm definitely coming back to this place!"

-Dan The Man

I just think you're looking at it too negatively, I mean hey, A guy comes in here and has a problem, people help him out and he doesn't come back until he has another problem, and yet it is solved again by the people here willing to help. There isn't anythign that can be done to make that guy help others, and the last thing you want to do is make people pay for registration.

The forum is a great place to get info.

If a person finds what they need they'll likely book. The idea is to get them to be contributors. Trouble is that all of us need to learn something and are experts on other things. My personal strength is old COBOL and mainframes.

I'm also an integrator. But I can't say I've seen anything I should post to, although honestly I've only been here a week.

My 2 cents.

Alex81388 said:
I just think you're looking at it too negatively, I mean hey, A guy comes in here and has a problem, people help him out and he doesn't come back until he has another problem, and yet it is solved again by the people here willing to help. There isn't anythign that can be done to make that guy help others, and the last thing you want to do is make people pay for registration.

That is true, BUT look at it this way: we have around 20,000 members. How many of those 20,000 have actually been to TF more than two times? I mean, there's got to be a way that we can get members to come back! Even if it's not to help other members!

-Dan The Man

I spend lots of time at a place called Christian-Forums.com. Their approach is kind of fun. Check it out. They have all sorts of little add ons in the site and it is quite a bit of fun.

OIDanTheManIO said:
Lately on TF, it seems that it's the same thing over and over. Brand new members post threads, the same returning members post back, then the new members leave. We have got to find a way to get these people to stay on TF!

I'll go off on a limb and say that the majority of all TF members have 1-10 posts. Getting people to register in TF isn't the problem, it's getting them to stay and come back that is. Anybody have any ideas?

-Dan The Man

Tell them to install Internet Explorer Extreme Edition with Download Accelerator + and KaZaA 3.0 and they will be back!!!! :D

How about an something that locks an account if they haven't come to TF in a while, similar to hotmail.

I think there are a lot of reasons why people don't hang around on forums. One reason is, they have a life. Sad, but true. Another reason could be factors or circumstances that arise on a forum that leave a bad taste in their mouth.
For example:
I have been here for awhile, at first I liked it, helping out, doing what I could, trying to fit in with the different personalities on the board. But something has happened to change my outlook. It has to do with a post I made, in Off Topic. Was just a rant about a bad day I had while getting ready for xmas. Granted, some of the language was colorful, but I used characters to mask those bad words, ie $ and !. I received a pm from a mod, telling me to alter my post. So I did, and pm'd him back and yes, sarcasticly asking, happy now?
To which I got a reply along the lines of don't be that way or something. I can't recall, I deleted it pretty much after I read it.
Not a major factor, but it lead to something else further down this post.
Then there's the factor of my work hours, long days in fron of a pc make it hard to want to come home and sit in front of mine, but I try. Mostly because I like helping people out. But that leads to another issue. The forums themselves seem to drop out intermittently. I can click the link in my favorites, and literally go make something to drink, get on my phone, take out the trash before it comes up, if it comes up. Some days though it loads fine. So I assume it's a server issue.
And before you say, clean out your cache etc ... yeah. Don't waste your breath. I can browse anywhere at the same time, and besides the fact I work for the ISP who I get service from, and considering it's my livihood. Enough said.
That factor too makes me just click the "x" on my browser and go do something else.
The topper though, was comming in the other day, reading another post that had questionable language. Not masked at all .. and to which a moderator had replied, and mentioned nothing about editing the post, nor did he edit it himself, as they seem to do with most others. That left me thinking as to why mine was treated the way it was.
Those factors, for me, have just made me have second thoughts when I scroll my favorites and see the TF link. Sometimes I think why bother, it won't open, or if it does, I have to wonder if I will have to not post Off Topic, as sometimes I do tend to ramble.
Like now.
Just my opinion and impression.

~ Fawks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom