Some ideas I think would be grand. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Some ideas I think would be grand.

I believe users should be givin the ability to delete there own thread/post and edit any of there posts/threads at any givin time. I personally like the fact on some forums I can edit/delete my post when ever as sometimes people realize they post in the wrong section and want to move and all of that.

Just a thought.

overlord20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Some ideas I think would be grand.

On sites that let you delete a post, you just think your deleting the post. That post can still be read by Staff Personnel so it's better to just make sure you really want to post it before clicking the button.

Moving a Thread is strictly a Staff only Option. That's what were here for, if you think a post or thread needs to be moved then you can report the post. You can report a post without getting someone in trouble.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

What about being able to edit any of your posts any time? I don't like not being able to edit my main post after 24 hours.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Make sure you say what you want to. Contact a member of staff, and I'm sure they'd be happy to help you.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

We use a 24 hour editing window. Why? Because we want what is said to remain. If you could go back and edit a post at any time, you could (theoretically) post up a huge flame, and then edit it once it has its effect but before a mod gets to see it. Be happy we use a 24 hour window ; one forum I post on has a one hour edit window.

As Slay said, even if you were able to delete your own post the staff could still see it. Even with editing a post the staff can still go in and see who edited it and what was edited.

If you make a thread in the wrong section, just report it and we will get it taken care of.

I know it is hard when you have your own site to not be able to do the same on a different site. I know it is hard for me, anyway.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

I just really don't like having to post and then put a note that says "Please Merge with OP" or the such. If you admins can see edited posts then editing the post after a flame fest could still render a user in trouble. And that way even more so if they try hiding it.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Would it be possible to set it up so the op in a thread can be edited for an unlimited amount of time while all other posts would retain the 24 hour limit? I like the limited editing window in general but I think it would be nice if the poster of a thread could update the original post to reflect any changes in the situation/problem as well as add any additional info they may have. It would also be convenient for guides and benchmarking threads.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlord20 View Post
I just really don't like having to post and then put a note that says "Please Merge with OP" or the such. If you admins can see edited posts then editing the post after a flame fest could still render a user in trouble. And that way even more so if they try hiding it.
At the same time this creates extra work for the staff. As we would have to check every post in every thread to see if any were edited. then we would have to check those edits to see if there was a flame fest in order to take appropriate action. Instead of leaving the edit window to what it is now at 24 hours and seeing it outright without having to take such actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle Jumper View Post
Would it be possible to set it up so the op in a thread can be edited for an unlimited amount of time while all other posts would retain the 24 hour limit? I like the limited editing window in general but I think it would be nice if the poster of a thread could update the original post to reflect any changes in the situation/problem as well as add any additional info they may have. It would also be convenient for guides and benchmarking threads.
I have not seen such an option in the ACP. That is not saying that there isnt a plugin or something that can do this though. We just never looked into it.

You guys have the wrong idea. It isnt that we want to tie members hands. But the truth is this, if we leave the edit window open that just creates extra work. As if someone reports a post and it is then edited we can see the original post. But if a member contacts us after the post was edited saying they were flamed but the post was edited before it was reported, then we would have to check that thread and every post by the included members of such an accusation.

Being an administrator of your own site you should know and understand that trying to uphold the rules of the site are very difficult. It isnt that we want to do such things, but over the lifetime of the site we have found that such things we have in place work for us.

If we left the edit window open all it does is create so much extra work. If we lock down the edit time it creates less work. It is far easier to deal with situations when they are present already and cant be edited or to just simply edit a post when a user requests it than it does to check every topic that has been active since our last visit for post edits for violations. It is for such a reason that we have the edit restriction in place. It saves us time and energy to do more for our members rather than spending our time looking for such things.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote

« Love | T-F funding »