Reputation system has been activated

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah, so its not just the new members that are limited. So only staff members can give rep points?
No they can but it doesnt count for or against. It will show up as a grey box. Which doesnt have any effect on your rep at all. I have a comment left by someone with 2 posts. But it didnt count against my rep.
I always just assumed that if a poster was a mod or had quite a lot of posts, then that information would be more credible and noteworthy. I don't necessarily think a rep system is needed, and it looks like its already causing more controversy than what it's worth.

That isnt necessarily true. There are several members that have a few thousand posts but dont really have such great knowledge. Yes the Mods are choosen for the expertise and such but just because we are Mods all of our advice should be taken without caution.

I have given several examples as to how each Mod has their area of expertise. Would you take Vern's advice in Windows over Mine? Would you take My advice over Vern's in hardware? Just because of a post count? No.

The Rep system will be worth it. But come on it has been a WEEK. Give it time to get working properly. Give it time for people to rep and for the kinks to get worked out.

Griping every day that this person cant give rep or this person gave this rep or this person didnt give rep is not going to help the system move forward. We have to all work together to make this work.

Us Mods and Admins are still trying to work out all the kinks ourself. We are still messing with the system trying to get it setup for the optimal performance for EVERYONE. As well as make sure that people that should meet at least the minimum requirements to Rep do and those that shouldnt are not.

What we do know...

50 POSTS
10 REP points

This is what you need in order to be able to have your Rep COUNT toward another person.

If you are new you start off with 10 Rep points. If you have been here a while you should have 10 already. You get 1 Rep point for every YEAR you have been here and 1 Rep point for every 1,000 POSTS.

The amount of Rep you give to another member is based on a scale. This scale depends on the time on the site, the number of posts you have and if i am not mistaken your Rep to begin with.

So if you have only 1 year of service to the site and 1,000 posts with 10 rep you will give 1 point of rep. Roughly!!!!

Now myself i can give ROUGHLY 25 Rep Points. Based on my almost 5 years of service, my 19+K posts and the fact i already have 140 Rep Points.

This is a rough scale!!!! Do not take it as the hard facts cause i do not know if the starting Rep counts.

This will work, if we get everyone to work together and give Rep where it is deserved for posts that are helpful, meaningful, serve multiple purposes and can help people out.

What we do know...

50 POSTS
10 REP points

This is what you need in order to be able to have your Rep COUNT toward another person.

If you are new you start off with 0 (ZERO) Rep points. If you have been here a while you should have 10 already. You get 1 Rep point for every YEAR you have been here and 1 Rep point for every 1,000 POSTS.

The amount of Rep you give to another member is based on a scale. This scale depends on the time on the site, the number of posts you have and if i am not mistaken your Rep to begin with.

So if you have only 1 year of service to the site and 1,000 posts with 10 rep you will give 1 point of rep. Roughly!!!!

Now myself i can give ROUGHLY 25 Rep Points. Based on my almost 5 years of service, my 19+K posts and the fact i already have 140 Rep Points.

This is a rough scale!!!! Do not take it as the hard facts cause i do not know if the starting Rep counts.

This will work, if we get everyone to work together and give Rep where it is deserved for posts that are helpful, meaningful, serve multiple purposes and can help people out.

I think you and Trotter are giving conflicting information here.

Might want to get that straightened out.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm going to go hide under a rock somewhere....... this is hurts.

Neato....... Princes "Batdance" is on tv.....

Not really conflicting, just different. ;)

The rep system is a work in progress. The current settings are:

• Default rep for new members = 10
  • Register date factor (X number of days to gain additional 1 point) = 365
  • Post count factor (x number of posts to gain additional 1 point) = 1000
  • Reputation point factor (X amount of rep to gain additional 1 point) = 100
  • Minimum post count (before rep awards count) = 40
  • Minimum reputation count (before rep awards count) = 10
  • Daily rep click limit (max number of times a member can give rep per day) = 10
  • Rep user spread (number of different people a member must rep before the same person can be repped) = 20

Hopefully that will make more sense of it all.

I dont see how they conflict. The only part of my post that i see was different (I have corrected it now but Aspire has the old post Quoted) was the fact that i said they start off with Zero.

The rest from what i see says exactly the same.

Register date factor (X number of days to gain additional 1 point) = 365 says teh same thing as = You get 1 Rep point for every YEAR

Post count factor (x number of posts to gain additional 1 point) = 1000 says the same thing as = 1 Rep point for every 1,000 POSTS

Minimum post count (before rep awards count) = 40

Now here is the conflict. Cause back in post 142 Trotter himself said 50 as well. But after that said 40. I read 50 and went with that and did not see that it was revised.

Any member can give rep. Members with less than 50 posts (sorry, Mak ;) ) who give rep will only be giving a comment, as no one is able to give points until they have 50 posts.

A member must have at least 40 rep points before they are able to give anyone rep points. Only mods can give negative rep, and all new members start with 10.

Hmmm... I think I will make it 40 posts, as that is the breakpoint for most everything else.

That is why i said 50 Posts.

Minimum reputation count (before rep awards count) = 10 says the same thing as = 10 REP points

I did not even make reference to the other stuff on that list Trotter posted. I also stated this in my post as well:

So far i have yet to see where we are giving conflicting information. From what i am reading it is exactly the same. I just give examples of how it is put into use.

Sorry, I was just confused a bit when I read somewhere that there was a min 40 rep points needed to award rep points to someone else.. but that has been cleared up.. TY.. :D

So I just hit 1000 posts, aren't I supposed to get another point? or is it 1000 posts from when the system was activated? Not really a big deal but I'm just curious.

You gained an additional point to what you award someone when you give them rep, not a point to your own. Your rep only grows when others give you rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom