Remove Tech Forum gif from donation page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tribalsun

In Runtime
Upon entering the donation page for Tech Forums with Opera 8 I was given an "insecure connection" warning.

Opera 8 insecure connection.

I went to use Internet Explorer 6 to make a donation and was given a warning dialog about this page "contains both secure and non-secure items", "Do you want to display the non-secure items"?

Non-secure items, IE 6

After choosing no, the Tech Forums gif is not displayed and my connection is secure denoted by the lock at the lower right.

Not displaying non-secure items, IE 6

Now choosing to display non-secure items allows the Tech Forum gif to show and I no longer have a secure connection with IE 6 as denoted by the missing "lock" at the lower right.

Displaying "non-secure items", IE 6.

It is clear that the Tech Forums gif is the security culprit as it is not hosted on a secure server. Now this is one area of security where Microsoft has Opera beat. IE allows to not display "non secure items" thus allowing a secure connection while Opera 8 merely warns that the connection is "non secure".

I have not tested the donation page with another browser as IE and Opera are the only 2 on my PC. I would suggest removing the Tech Forums gif on the donation pages through the whole process as most people will not go through the steps I did to find the problem and resolution and it may hinder donations. If Opera was the only browser I used I would not donate via the web page given Opera's security warning.

I thought you might like a heads up on this and hopefully it may help some donations to come in. :)

Edit - I have posted this over at the Opera Forums as well in the "wish-list" forum as I would like Opera to have the same option IE has in regards to "non-secure items".

It's been a week and it's a valid security concern. Leaving that gif exposes a person to an unsecure connection if they are not paying attention in IE or Opera. Please fix or remove the gif on all the donation pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom