Ranking system? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Ranking system?

I noticed theres a ranking system (My rank: Newb Techie),
exactly what does this do?, any extra benefits, or just for show so people know who "knows what they're talking about", and lastly, how do you rank up?
Thanks for answers, I'm glad I finally found a forum I actually stick with!

PatchesD00D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Ranking system?

just based on how many posts you have. After a certain amount of posts you can customize it if you want. Just an added bit of fun.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Triforcer

Moved to FQ&S.

Each rank you achieve allows you to do more. Signature, custom avatar, availability of currently private forums etc. The more you contribute, the more you earn.

Baez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knowitall!

I find the rankings hilarious. For instance, I'm relatively new to the forum and I have a ranking of "Junior Techie" which I find almost insulting since I've worked in the tech field for 39 years. I read posts from members that have a ranking of "Ultra Techie" or something like that but are obviously rank amateurs based on the questions they are asking.

The current ranking system implies technical prowess due to the labels used. If it were up to me I would change the labels to indicate forum seniority along the lines of "New Member", "Jr. Member", ..."Ultra Member". I understand that the term "techie" in the labels is being used to refer to a member of the tech forums but a true noob to forums probably doesn't understand that and may give undue weight to advice given by someone who is labeled as an "Ultra Techie".
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

They do not influence you knowledge, nor does anyone call you a noob just because you are new to the site. It is a set ranking. Everybody goes through it.

At a certain level of posts (I forget), you can edit your title to anything but the staff emblems (Mod, Admin, etc.)

Edit: When I started here in December 09, I was not disregarded for my technical suggestions because of my ranking.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
I find the rankings hilarious. For instance, I'm relatively new to the forum and I have a ranking of "Junior Techie" which I find almost insulting since I've worked in the tech field for 39 years. I read posts from members that have a ranking of "Ultra Techie" or something like that but are obviously rank amateurs based on the questions they are asking.

The current ranking system implies technical prowess due to the labels used. If it were up to me I would change the labels to indicate forum seniority along the lines of "New Member", "Jr. Member", ..."Ultra Member". I understand that the term "techie" in the labels is being used to refer to a member of the tech forums but a true noob to forums probably doesn't understand that and may give undue weight to advice given by someone who is labeled as an "Ultra Techie".
It is a ranking system that is based on a post count. It happens on EVERY FORUM out there. Cause there is no way for a forum registration to rank you based on your knowledge. No forum on the internet gives you a quiz and then a ranking based on that quiz to show your technical expertise.

Do you think that a stupid label constitutes knowledge? I know CEO's that are dumb as rocks and dont have a clue what goes on in their business and I know people who work with the customers directly that have more knowledge than the CEO. It is an arbitrary label just like the post count is an arbitrary number.

Both are just a way to show how much people participate on the site. You have not participated enough and it shows by both accounts.

You show the exact reason why such a system is flawed. Cause you show how people place such high regards in false labels instead of finding out for yourself who the people are. You believe some label you see or some title they have and think they know something.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Triforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
You show the exact reason why such a system is flawed. Cause you show how people place such high regards in false labels instead of finding out for yourself who the people are. You believe some label you see or some title they have and think they know something.
He's saying others could misinterpret the labels. He isn't saying he thinks they mean something.

While I agree the word "techie" could be taken to mean knowledge, the site's name is Tech-Forums. Anyone participating at all here is a techie. Techie is TF's word for member.

Baez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baez View Post
He's saying others could misinterpret the labels. He isn't saying he thinks they mean something.

While I agree the word "techie" could be taken to mean knowledge, the site's name is Tech-Forums. Anyone participating at all here is a techie. Techie is TF's word for member.
Yeah, I got that and stated so in my post.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

What is the post count before you can customize your label?
Radeon HD 5670 @ 860mhz gddr5
Antec High Current Gamer 520
InWin Br665 matx
CyberPower Green CP1500 900W UPS
Acer 20" G205hl
Camera Canon PowerShot SX10is
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
1) Be Respectful Treat other members as you would have them treat you. This means no flaming, insulting, or belittling other members.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
What is the post count before you can customize your label?
Check the Forum Rules as it is listed in them.

Let's lighten up, people.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote