Policy Change for the Forums. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default Re: Policy Change for the Forums.

I have a question about the Laptop section and Troubleshooting sections. Laptop troubleshooting topics are started in one or the other, sometimes even both by new users. For hardware troubleshooting with laptops should we work to have everything directed into one thread only or let the chips fall where they may?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

My personal thoughts is that the Laptop stuff should be in the Laptop area. I mean it is a Laptop area so even if it is hardware related it should be there.

Why else call it the Laptop area?

If anything we can move them till people get used to posted where they should....

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Okay that's what I was thinking, too, Mak.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
rustle rustle

So does that new rule mean that if you post in the wrong section to get answers you get infractions if it happens often?
Old 10-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Yes. You will get a infraction if you do it constantly. Not to mention your threads might just "disappear" cause they got deleted without notice.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

The main point of this is to stop people from asking things in Off Topic "because it will get a faster answer," as well as a few who drop their posts wherever they darn well feel like it. We have the various forums for a reason and we expect people to use at least half a brain cell and read what each one is for.

Most people will never have to worry about tis one.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 10-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
The main point of this is to stop people from asking things in Off Topic "because it will get a faster answer," as well as a few who drop their posts wherever they darn well feel like it. We have the various forums for a reason and we expect people to use at least half a brain cell and read what each one is for.

Most people will never have to worry about tis one.
OT has the 2nd most traffic on the forums but all the grade A* trouble shooters hang there (you all know who you are an TF wouldn't be here without you) so people ended up posting there for no reason other than to get there thread seen by more of the experienced members. It's ok if a new or inexperienced members posts a software problem in the hardware section as we will move it an let them know.

But if you have the 40 posts you know where things should be, or post a problem that is obviously in OT just to get more trafic an a faster response will be deleted an nothing will be said. If you make a habbit of this a infraction will be issued in the normal fashion. Thing is I belive there is a fair amount of mods discression in this, every one makes mistakes an worng links can be clicked but you can't excuse posting in OT just to get a speedier response.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Triforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
OT has the 2nd most traffic on the forums but all the grade A* trouble shooters hang there (you all know who you are an tech forums wouldn't be here without you) so people ended up posting there for no reason other than to get there thread seen by more of the experienced members. It's ok if a new or inexperienced members posts a software problem in the hardware section as we will move it an let them know.

But if you have the 40 posts you know where things should be, or post a problem that is obviously in OT just to get more trafic an a faster response will be deleted an nothing will be said. If you make a habbit of this a infraction will be issued in the normal fashion. Thing is I belive there is a fair amount of mods discression in this, every one makes mistakes an worng links can be clicked but you can't excuse posting in OT just to get a speedier response.
Very much agreed. Good choice of a new rule. I cannot count how many times I've told members with ~<300 posts that a software question shouldn't be posted in the hardware trouble or OT section.

About how many warnings were you thinking before the issue is escalated?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

As with everything else. 1 warning. After the 1 warning it turns into infractions. That is if you are above the 40 post count. That is when you become a full fledged member of Tech-Forums with all rights. By thta time you should know what goes where and what our rules are.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

Triforcer

Alright Mak. Just wanted to know how seriously we were taking this. Should keep most in line. Hopefully...

Closed Thread