This is a pigsty - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: This is a pigsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
...it's sad to say, I miss how this forum looked in 2005. Sucks that everything is so broken...
The current theme is pretty much a hack-job from pieces of Baez's dark theme he was working on.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Exactly corro, I know trotts hands are tied and he can only do so much.
If hes running the board and the outer staff atleast he should be able to have a right to fix the board.

If it were me in his shoes, I would take baez "erl" or someone capable with most webprogramming skills.
Speak to the site owner and see if he will let him code it and pay him to do it right.

-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RockMan- View Post
Exactly corro, I know trotts hands are tied and he can only do so much.
If hes running the board and the outer staff atleast he should be able to have a right to fix the board.

If it were me in his shoes, I would take baez "erl" or someone capable with most webprogramming skills.
Speak to the site owner and see if he will let him code it and pay him to do it right.
Like I said, things are being discussed among the staff and site owners.

Besides, making an entire backend / forum software is no easy task - so we're not going to make a custom backend. For now we're staying on vB.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 03-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
The strange one

I'd love to design a new template
iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Like I said, things are being discussed among the staff and site owners.
so we're not going to make a custom backend. For now we're staying on vB.
So you see a broken stove, sure it heats up and cooks things but it won't cool down or turn off right.
We'll just wait till it doesn't cut it off or short circuit and let something catch on fire and blow up the whole house.

I'm not the only person who sees this place physically broken it'll take much more than what your speaking of for TF to survive.

I'm done talking to you, I hope trotter does get that right help.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RockMan- View Post
So you see a broken stove, sure it heats up and cooks things but it won't cool down or turn off right.
We'll just wait till it doesn't cut it off or short circuit and let something catch on fire and blow up the whole house.
That's...not comparable to this scenario at all. Like I said, we have a plan currently in place - we can't "just do it". We have to plan things out and test. You're not familiar with software development / deployment.

Quote:
I'm not the only person who sees this place physically broken it'll take much more than what your speaking of for TF to survive.
I'm not saying it is or isn't broken - vB3 (the current one we're on now) is stable for the most part. We reverted back from vB4 because it was unstable and a buggy mess and things didn't work right after the upgrade.

Quote:
I'm done talking to you, I hope trotter does get that right help.
It's not really up to Trotter - it's up to the site owners - we can only suggest things.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Build Guru

Here, let me repeat what has been said in bold large letters.

IT'S ALREADY BEING DISCUSSED BETWEEN THE STAFF.

Besides the occasional database error there really isn't much wrong with the site besides lack of traffic. I don't really see what the big deal is. I mean, the picture gallery threads barely get posted in anyways.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lord Techie

There's a lot wrong with the database IMO, or the search system.... Tons of older threads that can't be found with search with out manually going through page by page... When viewing some users posting history, there's a date cutoff half the time...
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
There's a lot wrong with the database IMO, or the search system.... Tons of older threads that can't be found with search with out manually going through page by page... When viewing some users posting history, there's a date cutoff half the time...
The reason being has already been explained, and the fix is being discussed in the background by staff.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I remember hearing talk of this fix years ago when I brought attention of the issue to a few Administrators....

c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote