Permenant thread addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastKnownUser

Baseband Member
In computer hardware, I believe there should be an "Other" forum dedicated to peripherals/additions to computer hardware E.g. Printer/LCD/PDA/Smartphones/External audio hardware and the likes.

PDA smartphones and audio hard where should have the official "OTHER" catagory

Vs Printer/LCD should have their own thread for trouble shooting. I did a quick search for LCD and got multiple pages with the term LCD (whither this is for troubleshooting or people just spouting specs I'm not quite sure because I didn't want to go through ALL of them)

LCD tech is vital to gaming and the overall computer experience. First few threads would be a standard "Heres what you want in an LCD" (which I found that thread somewhere created by a mod)

But I also know that their isn't much one can do for troubleshooting of a broken LCD except for the standard Troubleshooting steps. (which are few) and you can hardly fix your own LCD screen nowadays.

BUT its a good organization thread. A simple search of LCD as I've mentioned before Brings on thousands of hits because people Mention "LCD" when Explaining their computer setup. So finding LCD specific questions is hard to find.

Same goes with printers But Really, Printers should be just thrown in because Printers aren't very much talked about. Though It would be nice to see peoples opinion on the printers that are out and how many of the Tech-forum members actually use a printer (me personally I haven't printed anything in 2 years or more.... lol)

I hope I made my point, and very sorry if this has been asked before.

Cory

Other Computer HW Topics - Computer Forums

That is for Printers, LCD's and other such hardware.

Phones – PDA's – Bluetooth – Other handhelds - Computer Forums

Phones, PDA, Bluetooths Devices and MP3 Players fit here.

We already have them separated. So i dont quite understand what you are getting at here?

Each have their own area of the forum for their threads. Yeah they do get intermixed at times. But it isnt that major of a problem. The Search Feature should show you where those topics are located.

The problem is that the Search Feature is very dumbed down. It just searches for that group of Letters. "LCD" in the post. So the thread could ahve nothing to do with the LCD at hand but there maybe have been a question asked in the the thread about what LCD Monitor they have cause their screen shot looked nice to someone.

There is no way for us to go through the Search Feature and distinguish every thread and sort them out by what they contain to what their title holds. That is the main problem with the many topics we have here. The Topic Title 90% of the time is either very basic or doesnt cover what the topic covers.

There isnt much more we can do from our stand point. The Search Feature isnt specific. Even going into the Advanced Search Method and using Topic Title only will give you only a percentage of what is truly out there but at least the areas are better for topics for what you are looking for.

It is a issue i have seen on every forum. People dont give a Topic Title the best name or they place it in the wrong area. Being a larger forum we see this more and it is more noticeable cause it is harder for us to just go through and rename them all and move them to the proper places.

But we do have the areas separate. We do have a place for all topics to go. If they are put there is a different story. If the topic title represents what is truly in the topic is also a different story.

We have tried this and we have tried our best to make sure that every topic has its own place. But it isnt the easiest keeping it from happening.

Thats cool man, thanks for the big reply,

About adding an LCD thread I'm speaking more out of a "want" for my current situation (which I posted in "other computer HW topics" ) So, Lol, Just a bit o wishful thinking on my part.

But I understand. And really, Thanks for the in-depth reply.

I can fully understand. The main issue is for us to add a whole new main forum on the index is a major pain. It would involve us adjusting our Search Engine Optimization along with so many other factors.

If we went to add sub-forums to the Other Hardware area for specific items like LCD Monitors and Printers then we would have to do it for every item that could fall under that category as well.

I mean it would seem like we would be favoring LCD and Printers over a Scanner or Finger Print Reader. Which is why we have left them so wide open to that items can all fall under that category but still have a place of their own.

I do see what you are trying to say and i do understand it. But at this time there just really much more we can do.

Thanks for the tip and we will make sure to discuss it. nothing goes without a discussion. It could still happen. I am not the only person on the site. ;)

That is if the thread starter bothered to add tags. ;)

Other users can add up to two tags to a thread.

We have a tag cloud, but it isn't linked to anywhere that I see. It can be found here. There is also a search by tag field on that screen.

Most people only know the specs that are found on Newegg, as far as LCDs go. I don't repair them or mess with them much (other than to use them). We have a few who really know their stuff and they are usually quick to jump in on a thread about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom