New programming area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S0ULphIRE

Golden Master
It'd be kwl if there was a place for people to post or upload any random programs they've written.
I reckon it'd just be interesting, and useful too. It could also be a place where people put in requests for programs to be written. Over time I reckon there'd be a pretty nice build-up of little scripts which do something strange but useful. could be fun :)

The real question i have is do we have enough people who can do it?

While a great idea there are many requests for software, is there a big enough pool of people that can create such software to meet the demands? Would they be willing to do it for free?

I mean i know i can think of at least 5 or 6 right now. But some are major projects. Not just some 3 minutes code job.

So really that has to be considered. I mean we have a Programming area already where you can put ideas out there and all that now. I am just trying to see if it would be something that could be maintained. Espically for free. Many of the requests wont be something that would be easy to do.

It wouldn't have to be free, for any of the larger projects something could easily be worked out between the asker and the coder.
Iuno, I for one enjoy writing new scripts and wouldn't have any problems with doing it for free.

The main idea with this is for a place to put finished scripts. Putting them in the main Programming area wouldn't work because they'd eventually get buried under all the other posts. Stickies would work either because the number of programs would build up and block all the other posts in the forum.

Not necessarily. As we have done with the Free & Open Source Apps it can be done.

The thing about charging is that, well it cant be negotiated through this site. Reason i say that is because Tech-Forums would then be held liable. If the coder(s) do not finish the job in either a.) the time stated or b.) to the satisfaction of the user, they could in turn come back to Tech-Forums and give us issues since they found this coder via our site. Which could leave the site in a tight spot. While it would be a extreme case, if people are paying money they would want to make sure that either a.) they got the program or b.) they got refunded the money.

So basically all the stuff would have to be free and open source. Since it will be available to everyone and anyone who comes to the site. Unless otherwise agreed upon by Larry who owns the site, hosting and domain that will have to be how it is done.

I understand your thoughts on this and i do agree. But there are legal aspects to parts of this which strict what can be done.

I have been thinking of setting up a software development site with goals similar to what you are looking to start here. Obviously it will be a dedicated site and so should be in a format better suited for the job. Maybe when finished it could be partnered with TF but I would imagine that would be subject to Larry's approval, which in turn could really only be granted after the site is in operation.
Three cheers for the future...?

Of course any project like that, if not partnered with the Site officially can still be supported by many of the members including the Staff. So even if Larry doesnt approve of the site officially i will still make sure to link it in various places. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom