n00b Lounge Sub Forum - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble
Question n00b Lounge Sub Forum

One thing that did cross my mind today was that maybe we might have a n00b Lounge subforum in the computer hardware section.

This is where new users can ask the really silly questions with out the fear of sounding like an idiot. We advertise it some thing like this
"Flame-free zone for people who are new to hardware and overclocking. No question too stupid, nothing taken for granted. Please read back in the forum and see if your question was already asked (and answered) recently."

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 10-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Equator Gringo
Default Re: n00b Lounge Sub Forum

I thought the forum was noob-friendly enough? The members here are generally very newbie friendly from what I have seen since I have been here. when I first joined here I asked some REALLY stupid questions, and never got a flame or any negative retort. From what I've seen, people who do flame are quickly given a warning or an infraction, or the post gets deleted. The mods do a great job of cleaning up the garbage. Just my dos centavos!

PII 940 :: 5870 :: Rage powered
Old 10-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Didn't we used to have one of these?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 10-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

I don't think it is really needed. The forum is meant to answer questions, that would be like having an advanced section as well for only very advanced questions. I just don't think it matters if all types of questions are in one place.
3770K @ 4.7 Ghz H100 Water Cooled | GTX 970 MSI Gold Edition SLI
32GB G.Skill RipJaws (Rendering/ Virtualization) | Corsair 650D | CORSAIR RM1000W w/ White Cable KIt
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB SSD Boot | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD Secondary | WD Black 1 TB | WD Green 3 TB
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 10-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Originally Posted by hotmatt99 View Post
Well, yes, nobody here really gets flamed or insulted with noobish questions, thanks to our mods. I don't recall us having one before Kmote, but I guess "New Member Introductions" category pretty much sums it up.
Believe me if some one did get funny with a new member who is non technical and is genuinely trying to learn and or fix a problem I and any other mod will come down on that member like a ton of bricks, and then we will get medieval on them .

As always I would like to take this opportunity to say a thank you to our vigilant regulars who without them our job would be a lot more difficult, and to the rest of the mods below my level your doing a stand up job and you help enforce the rules in a caring and above all understanding way that most forums don't have TF is a real community because all sides for the most part work hard to make it that way.
Visit this and do something for the world!

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

We already have one. Let me provide you with a link:
Computer Forums - Powered by vBulletin

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Closed Thread