Move the Tech Forum Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exhibition

Baseband Member
Move the Tech Forum Information section of the forum to the top above the Computer Hardware section. New members expect to join, and have this section staring them in the face, so they can introduce themselves, and maybe even glance at the rules.

Edit; I'm completely useless, and posted this in the introduction section instead of the Suggestions, Kindly move it. :(

I have considered suggesting this myself. Many don't see the Introduction forum for quite a while, much less any announcements made.

Yea i like this idea, Trotter is there a way to atleast inform people in a welcome PM with a link to the rules an possibly a FAQ with the things like why the drop down menus don't work ect.

When I first joined, I didn't think this section existed, until one day I scrolled down, and wa-la.

Yea i like this idea, Trotter is there a way to atleast inform people in a welcome PM with a link to the rules an possibly a FAQ with the things like why the drop down menus don't work ect.

That isnt possible now. If they get a Welcome PM they can bypass the no PM for under 40 posts and send spam.;)

I still think we should get a FAQ done up. the current one is only for vB related stuff.

This is definitely a suggestion Dave should see. I don't know how hard it would be to move it, software-wise, but it worth considering.

When the forum was new, the Tech Forum Information section was on top and the Misc. section was next. As with many forums that have grown large in their niche, it was decided that the main part of the forum should be seen at the top and the "other" stuff should take second place. Since this is a computer tech forum, it was decided that what people should see first would be the technical information parts of the site.

Though we try to promote a community and that is very important, it is more important that this is a computer technology community and not a social network.

And there is a welcome PM that is sent out to me. It does make it possible for someone to reply back to me, but it doesn't open the PM system for them. And there have been a few that have spammed me via the reply to the welcome PM, but you generally won't find their names in the membership list.

Present welcome PM:
Hi $username and welcome to Tech-Forums!

We appreciate you taking the time to register and be a part of our community, and we hope you enjoy your stay. If you have any questions, please check out the FAQs. If you have additional questions, you can ask an Administrator or a Forum Leader for assistance. The General Rules for the forum can be found here. Please note that several of the sub-forums have specific rules (such as the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, Off-Topic forum, etc.). You will need to check those out for their specifics.

We hope to see you around the forums!

Sincerely, The Tech-Forums staff
Please note that this is an automated welcome and you do not need to reply.
I can add to the welcome that we request that the new member start off by introducing themselves with a link to the intro forum.

There has been much thought and debate about the organization of the forums and sub-forums. However, at this time, we'll be keeping the order as is, and probably changing the welcome PM so that people are encouraged to introduce themselves.

Thanks for the input. Is there more that should be in the welcome PM?

Dave :D

Edit: The welcome PM is now like this:
Hi $username and welcome to Tech-Forums!

We appreciate you taking the time to register and be a part of our community, and we hope you enjoy your stay. If you have any questions, please check out the FAQs. If you have additional questions, you can ask an Administrator or a Forum Leader for assistance. The General Rules for the forum can be found here. Please note that several of the sub-forums have specific rules (such as the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, Off-Topic forum, etc.). You will need to check those out for their specifics.

Please start your stay with an introduction of yourself in the Introduction Forum. Thanks.

We hope to see you around the forums!

Sincerely, The Tech-Forums staff
Please note that this is an automated welcome and you do not need to reply.

That's much better, :)

I guess the organization of the forums and sub-categories here does make sense, as the main focus of this forum isn't introducing yourself :p

Thanks Dave. ;]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom