IRC? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback

Old 09-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Default Re: IRC?

-M4TT-, you got PM.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Grinch

We have attempted a TS3 server, but see, that's one thing that creates limitations, voice chat = very difficult to moderate, plus, we have issues with time-outs. Though, an IRC channel would be interesting to try since it's just chat, and a channel bot could be setup to moderate it.... You can even set it so that no one can talk unless given voice/half op/op/founder... Would be interesting for the test group to try out? Maybe even eventually include a link to "Live Chat".
The downside? Unless you are the one running the IRC server, you won't be able to see the private chats between users.

Would it not be possible, to create a staff that can join the channel and switch on/off depending upon RL schedule, and allow voice (chatting) to all users when present, but once they leave, the bot sets the channel so only +users and higher have the ability to talk, which are users trusted to not cause legal issues?

I know it's not a voice system, but real time chat with fellow members at random, with out having to create posts would be fun I think, and with IRC, and IRC bots, you can do a WHOLE crap load of things. We could even setup an XDCC bot, and with software vendors permissions, make software packages available for download such as CPU-Z, all a user would have to do is type the trigger, and have a proper IRC client since most web-based IRC clients can't do XDCC. The bot could even, instead of doing XDCC, just give a URL for a user to click for the package when they type the trigger.

I know it's a headache for the admins to do, but why not create a team specifically for that purpose in the test environment?

Old 09-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

This is where I was going, if you look at the AnonOps IRC channel, they have TONS of bots working, and no one discusses warez, etc...
Matt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Grinch

I don't go based upon Anon operations, but based upon typical sub groups on rizon and how the bots in there operate.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yea I know, but I'm using Anon as an example, they have a REALLY good setup...
Old 09-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Networking Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by -M4TT- View Post
There are premade databases of blocked words, which include permutations. The people who made the db put the regular words into a program which made all possible permutations, and added them to the db.
True but remember links have to have the proper wording in it. Other wise the DNS server freaks out going what is this?? lol
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Build Guru

I think one of the main problems is how many people would actually use it on a day to day basis? Quakecon has 2000-3000+ visitors every year and yet their IRC has a regular 2-5 people at a time chatting and sometimes none. I know with the TS server I would hop on, see nobody on, and hop off. Would probably be the same with IRC.

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

I feel like IRC is a bit different, i'd be more likely to just sit in an IRC than a TS server. I think it would depend on how well it's advertised on the site and if people actually realize it's there. There are lots of instances where people post a very simple question that could be answered in a couple seconds, or something where people are kind of impatient and want an instant answer, or it's a relatively time sensitive question. At which point if people know that it's there when they first join then I think it could get a decent amount of use.

Also the longest thread ever is pretty much an on going chat, so I could see the IRC being an equivalent of that.

But at the end of the day you could easily be right PP and there would be 5-10 people a week who would be in the IRC for more than 10 minutes, and at that point is it worth it to put the time into getting it all set up and hosted with proper security and legal issues ironed out, just for the few people that end up using it.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Grinch

It may be worth it, it may not, the issue would be getting it so anyone could easily join it. For that we would need AJAX IRC on the webserver to connect to the IRC server for users that don't want to bother installing a real IRC client.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

you can use WebIRC

Also, you don't hop on and off IRC, you "idle"