[IDEA] View new responses to threads you've posted in - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default [IDEA] View new responses to threads you've posted in

I've seen this on other forums, geekhack.org in particular, where there's a button much like new posts, but rather than showing you all the new posts, it only shows new unread responses to threads you've posted in. For me it would be nice cause I'm not on everyday or even every other day, so when I hit new posts to see if someone's replied to a thread I could have 5-7 pages of new posts that I don't really want to sift through. Not sure if it's possible to implement on VBulletin but I think it would be a nice feature. (The link could replace calendar cause lets be honest most users don't use it. I assume mods might use it more, but I don't think I've ever used it..)

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Peter.Cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: [IDEA] View new responses to threads you've posted in

Unless you specify, you automatically subscribe to threads you post in (without email notification). Just click the 'User CP' at the top and it shows you all the threads you've posted in that have new responses. I use this all the time.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

If you click the button that looks like a downwards pointing arrow to the left of the thread title (on any thread where there are unread posts) you will be taken to the first post that you haven't read.

Is that what you were looking for?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
kmote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Unless you specify, you automatically subscribe to threads you post in (without email notification). Just click the 'User CP' at the top and it shows you all the threads you've posted in that have new responses. I use this all the time.
I think I specified to not subscribe at all, cause I don't have anything in that section. I'll have to try it out to see if how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmote View Post
If you click the button that looks like a downwards pointing arrow to the left of the thread title (on any thread where there are unread posts) you will be taken to the first post that you haven't read.

Is that what you were looking for?
No, I'm looking for something that's just like New Posts, but only for threads I've posted in.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

If you subscribe to the topics and then to the UserCP section like carnage suggested, then click the arrow like kmote suggested it will do what you want.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yep, subscribed threads make things nice when there is an update... Once in awhile I have to go and clear some old threads out that I ain't interested in, but it's handy for quick looking.
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
No, I'm looking for something that's just like New Posts, but only for threads I've posted in.
New Posts shows a list of threads so that is exactly what you would see if you subscribed to threads.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
kmote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
I think I specified to not subscribe at all, cause I don't have anything in that section. I'll have to try it out to see if how it works.

Yeah, if you selected to not subscribe to anything, then that's probably why you don't see anything there.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 01-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Ok I changed it so it automatically subs, and that seems to work pretty nicely. I'll have to give it a day or two to really test it, but looks good thanks!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Private Joker

No problem.