The future of Tech-Forums

Just a quick question, How many tech support admins does TF have? and how many are active? The only guys I notice "all the time" are CarnageX & iFargle, and users who help as much as mods - PP Mguire, Krazyq, and -Rockman- maybe a few others but they dont come to mind..

I dont really see a mix of users on IT support threads that I see on the gaming threads.. maybe you need more active mods...

also, I have noticed the mods either miss the threads or cannot answer the questions.. so I think creating mods for different areas of tech is a good idea. People will be able to get answer better then and know who to turn to if normal users cant help

As far as natives there are myself and Baez. I am on here a lot but don't post as much as I used to due to work constraints, getting older and slower, and not being as cutting edge as I used to be. Baez is a lurker as well but chimes in where his expertise would be useful.

Non-native includes Janet and Andy, as well as members of the Social Knowledge support team.

Regular mods include carnageX and iFargle, as well as two others who have not been as active of late; kmote and S0ULphIRE. We also have the staff from ComputerForums.org merging with us but I don't know all of them yet; so far we have -root-, Celegorm, iPwnz, berry120, and Lowndsey (once the merger is complete their usernames may change to match their original usernames from CF).

Thankfully we do have some very useful members here that jump in where help is needed. All of the staff here began as such including myself.

I'm around often but simply don't have the time to post as much as when I was in college. Maybe once my current project is over, but that won't be for a while.

Way back we did have mods for specific sections in their field, and super mods that were knowledgeable in most areas and part of senior staff. There isn't nearly enough activity to do the same now.

Mods aren't for providing tech support, mods are just there, nominally, to moderate. Basically management of posts and content to ensure rules aren't broken etc.

But there does need to be a greater mix of people providing support. I should probably help out more often, though I stick to some specific subforums now.

My bad.. I just thought as you don't have a real support team the mods were doing both roles.. given there the only real official users...

Maybe create a support team without all the mod powers but flag up as support etc..

My bad.. I just thought as you don't have a real support team the mods were doing both roles.. given there the only real official users...

Maybe create a support team without all the mod powers but flag up as support etc..

We assume the community as a whole is the "support team", IMO. That's the whole idea - to get people to interact with one another and help each other out. I started out asking nooby questions myself (as did most of the other people here), and eventually started helping other members out who came with questions, and as I did that I learned more and more.

We assume the community as a whole is the "support team", IMO. That's the whole idea - to get people to interact with one another and help each other out. I started out asking nooby questions myself (as did most of the other people here), and eventually started helping other members out who came with questions, and as I did that I learned more and more.

Same here. That's how I started over on CF, I then ended up getting a job fixing computers at a local shop and later at my college. Most (if not all) of the rest of the team from CF has similar stories in terms of techie backgrounds which means TF will get a nice influx of talented and knowledgeable staff when the merge happens.

Speaking just for myself - I'm currently doing more lurking here pre-merge than I am posting so I can get a feel for how you all interact (and just find all the forums :angel:).

Some of us were here before the mods or admin. Being a mod or admin does not make anyone "official".

Having people with "roles" or "teams" defeats the purpose of a forum.

Some of us were here before the mods or admin. Being a mod or admin does not make anyone "official".

Having people with "roles" or "teams" defeats the purpose of a forum.

This is the complete opposite of true. The core website operations needs a team. A team to deal with the domain, the installations of plugins, and especially moderators to moderate the random a$$ posts we get.... otherwise PP, you'd spend all day bitching at trolls who post meaningless jargon. We all know you spend quite enough time bitching so lets thank the moderators for their intervention otherwise you would get out of control.

This is the complete opposite of true. The core website operations needs a team. A team to deal with the domain, the installations of plugins, and especially moderators to moderate the random a$$ posts we get.... otherwise PP, you'd spend all day bitching at trolls who post meaningless jargon. We all know you spend quite enough time bitching so lets thank the moderators for their intervention otherwise you would get out of control.
You jumped the gun and completely misunderstood my post. :rolleyes:

As of the name change I'm barely on these forums as it is. If anything, I get vented to by a few mods.

He was talking about the reference to dedicated "support teams" rather than just allowing the community to help each other...he wasn't talking about behind-the-scenes stuff like what the staff here does.

Moderators have one soul purpose, to moderate, nothing else. Some mods frequent areas more than others, so they get stuck with just that mod, some are global, then you have administrators... But it would be nice if we had a "Support" usergroup... Certain people that hit a certain amount of respect get the badge to show they know what they are talking about in a certain portion of the forum...

Back
Top Bottom