Forum aesthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juice definitely has the talent, but he hasn't logged in here since 06-01-2007. If you see him, run it by him.

It is still un the /pc cause there are plans to make a portal and use the root for something else.

The skin is being discussed.

The layout i have no control over. Sorry.

There are too many plans I think. The quiz score didn't turn out too well either.

I really don't find the layout that bad. Maybe it could use a facelift with some new buttons or effects but navigating is pretty easy.

The forum skin is the default vBulletin skin. It's not bad and navigating is easy. The main problem is the forum header. It has some grey space with a useless link. It doesn't look nice.

My opinions:

PORTAL PAGE
1) Portal page (domain root) has "Computer Forums" to the right. Why? It's clearly the title driven from the html, but ... the site name is "Tech-Forums" ... right? Just looks odd there

2) Again, picking on the "Computer Forums" title ... We talk about more than computers here. Which is why, in my opinion, "Tech-Forums" fits better.

3) Tech-Careers and Tech-Forums 2 Advanced images in the top right don't have links and just sit there. They also have a weird gradient that stems from nothing... I'm as blind as a bat when it comes to cosmetics, but it just looks "odd" thats all.

4) On the portal page, there is a link in the upper left called "Tech-Jobs" which directs you to the tech-careers page. And on THAT page it's titled "Tech-Careers"... so which is it?

5) On the tech-careers page, the Tech-Forums and Tech-Forums2 link both go to techist.com/pc ... So, is this TF2?

FORUMS
1) What's up with the top of the page? I understand the tech forums logo/banner, but then you have a little text link that goes back to the portal labeled "Computers" :confused: Why not just make a "Tech-Forums Home" or "Tech-Forums Portal" banner? Make it Purrrrty :)

2) In some places (especially the breadcrumbs) tech forums is called "Tech-Forum" and in others it's labeled "Tech-Forums". In all cases, proper grammar just calls for the title of the site... Like "Tech Forum Information".... it should read "Tech-Forums Information" right? lol... I don't know. And most of me doesn't really care I guess. Just bugs me a little. If I were at the helm... it would drive me Casey McCrazy

3) Search results are limited to 200?

4) attachments are Nancy McNull and Void

There are literally hundreds of people here that would certainly help you here FOR FREE, if nothing else... for experience, why not just get a little help from people here to make this site look outstanding! Create a group called "tech forums Project" and then create your own hidden forum, and plan out your deal.

If this forum was for "Home improvements" or "gardening" I could understand. But, to have a technical forum not taking advantage of technology in every possible case is just Lucy McLazy ...

Again, just my opinion. I REALLY am NOT trying to offend anyone. Just constructive criticism
I'll stop *****ing :)

Portal page

The portal page doesn't serve any purpose at this point. Maybe Larry created it for search engine optimization, but I don't think tech forums needs it. Tech forums used to be on the first page of Google when searching for 'computer forums'.

Portal page

It doesn't have a layout, there are many links that do not make sense and banners without links. It even has a default link color. I think there should be some uniformity, or, for times' sake, just put a nice big logo on it: 'Enter Tech-Forums.net'.

Forums

The forum itself uses the default skin, which is good, but doesn't look very special (1 million vBulletin sites look like this). The header is terrible. The tech forums logo doesn't link to the forum index. The footer could be trimmed down, or put the credits in a small font, next to eachother.

viu1222853856r.PNG

klz1222853955x.PNG

Regarding your second point, the forum itself has been full of grammatical errors from the beginning, and they have been noticed and reported many times. Some examples:

- This forum uses many caps in its description, most others don't:
viu1222853393o.PNG

- Some forums have a period '.' at the end of the title or description and some don't:
bfi1222853547w.PNG

- Caps in title. Caps and exclamation mark in description:
jdv1222854272l.PNG

- 'Questions'.
rgh1222854831b.PNG

The forum is still automatically changing
jdv1222855475w.PNG
to 'tech forums', and only 10 images are allowed.

There are too many plans I think. The quiz score didn't turn out too well either.

Different times, different circumstances. I'm saying that partly because I was 50% responsible, but I could only badger Larry for DB access so much.
Conflicting ideas with a similar goal in mind.
The forum aesthetics and the quiz score can't really be placed side by side though. A lot has changed since then. Apparent motivation from the leaders here was present in a completely different form.

The forum is still automatically changing
jdv1222855475w.PNG
to 'tech forums'

LOL

I noticed that too the other day. I found it odd that TF was changed to tech forums (not even with the hyphen :) ) but words like whore and asshat are still uncensored. The focus just seemed to be in a wierd place there to assume that EVERY time i placed those two letters together that I was talking about this site. Never mind that there is a game out there that also has those initials.

Good points, Major. I'm at work right now, but I will see what I can clean up tonight.

I do agree that the main top banner could definitely use a change. Maybe across the top in the middle. Also bigger than the one we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom