Folding @ Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a 700 MHz core, your WU will take more than 15 or so days to complete a SINGLE one... my 900 Mhz P3 is above the 15 day mark.. It does about 1% of a WU in 4 hours.... so, 400 hours to complete plus or minus.....

Got a question for ya, E_D. Using the GPU client... does it run solo, or with the CPU cliebt? I'm looking toward getting a GPU that can run the GPU client (eventually).

Unfortunatly, if you are running a GPU client it will peg the CPU at 100% also, unless you have DUAL (or more) core. The GPU will need a dedicated CPU for it... This isn't the fault of the Folding software, but of an issue with the hardware issue and I think DX9.... There is something info about it over either in the GPU folding FAQ, or in the forums... I will try to find it and edit the post with a link.

Will nvidia cards be able to fold like ATI cards can fold? Also how fast does your ATI card plow through those WUs, Ethereal?

Right now, they do not have a program for nVidia or any plans for one that I know of.

I know that the GPU client needs a dedicated CPU to run. But is it possible to run the GPU client on one core, and the graphical client on the other core?

hey guys i have an update on the F@H project, i also posted this in the PS3 forum so i'll just quote myself:

i found this article quite interesting, especially the figures it provides on how much computational power PS3's have added to the Folding At Home project.

PS3 power usage during Folding@Home » HCW Tech Blog

it would be great if we could get a bunch of PS3 owners here folding for team #12864 (Tech-Forums) :D!!!!

if you're interested in folding on your PS3 check out this page: PS3 FAQ

i'm still holding my breath on an nVidia port of the GPU client so i canb put my 2 7900GS's to work on saving the world.

I just started using the GPU client, on my X1950PRO, and my temps jumped up. The CPU tops out at 53C. And I can't see the temp of my GPU, but I'm assuming it's way higher. Is this normal?...because when I run the regular graphical client, mine use to top out at, 43C. I'm also using the newest catalyst driver, which is 7.3....and I read in the faqs, that they support 6.5, 6.10, and 6.11...

what it does is it distributes small parts of the analysis work for their research (which takes a lot of computing power to analyse) to many processors around the world in order to get work done faster.

the research is into the folding/misfolding of proteins which results in diseases like cancer. understanding this can help in the search for cures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom