Don't Move 'Em, Lock 'Em and/or Delete 'Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
It's coming to my attension that alot people are just posting topics that should belong in other subforums in Off Topic for the simple reason of

1. More People View It
2. Quicker Reply.

I have been noticing that when you guys have been moving these threads to the proper channels.
For example, Aspire.techs thread about him RMAing his new video card with an after market GPU heat sink.

Any bet, this takes up a lot of you time trying to find a suitable subforum to post it in.

One thing that I have noticed on another forum (OCAU) is that they have put in the following policy for OT.

Threads that do not belong in (Off Topic) will be closed or deleted, not moved

From now on, threads that are posted in (Off Topic) that do not belong there (i.e., they should be posted in one of the other forums) will be closed or deleted rather than moved.

This is to stop people intentionally posting in the wrong forum "because I need an answer quickly" or "because it'll get more views here".

Off Topic is there for Off Topic. Not for trying to trouble shoot some one's computer problems.

I figured that you would like it.

It's not a problem that we currently have on ToV. But on some of the previous forums that I used to moderate, I did have the problem where OT is where every one visits, so lets post there.

And over all, it's a big waste of your time just because some one was too lazy to post it else. However on a good side, since people will be want to look at their post in the other sub forums, this will actually promote people to start looking at other subforums. Reason being is that they got their thead that they are waiting for a reply and in the mean time, they might reply to some one else's thread.

Is sounds harsh, but actually in the long run, it's a win win situation for both Mod and User.

And you do not need to sticky this on all the subforums. OT will just be fine.

I didn't really think we had a problem with that.

At least not for the Off topic section, for other sections. Yes, people fail on a regular basis when it comes to putting the topic in the correct area. But I have yet to see this sort of problem in OT... Meh....

We had a rash of it from a single member, but it is still a good policy. Or, move the topics to the proper location but don't leave a redirect. Normally we leave a one week redirect, but established members know how to find their posts.

I diddnt event realise it was a problem :)

For me Tech-Forums isnt about the Off-Topic, that's what IM is for :)

I like this idea, though it doesn't really affect me.

Home page is a good idea Ste =]
It's been a good idea for the 6 months since Tech Forums got updated, don't expect it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom