chat, quicker response for support, & instant messaging - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics
Default chat, quicker response for support, & instant messaging

I was reading a thread earlier today and the poster made a comment asking for quicker responses. So, I thought that TF could provide a better service by creating a better view of users currently online in an instant messaging service.

If the poster could see a list of people using a instant messaging service, they could send a message via that application. The functionality is currently available in the system, but it is hidden a few clicks deep. I'm thinking you could make use of a sidebar to list the handles of online users.

Please reply with your thoughts.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Default Re: chat, quicker response for support, & instant messaging

Some, like myself, wouldn't want their IM info published. When I have mine up I keep it invisible as I tend to get pummeled by so many.

Many have their IM info on their profiles, though.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 11-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Many have their IM info on their profiles, though.
yep, so the data is already there. Its just that TF could use it better. It's going to take some dev work though. Create a list similar to Currently Active Users under What's going on.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

The IM services is already available.

In your UserCP, under Edit Your Details is the list of services where you can add your info. It is a personal choice. Just look as Osiris. He has them all listed and it shows when he posts.

Plain and simple a member can gripe about faster responses. But face the facts. IT IS A FORUM NOT A CHAT ROOM.

Having that kind of information readily available leaves the members with that information available open to queries from EVERYONE not just members. It also leaves them open for stupid spam via IM and possibly viruses. We are not here to risk people's PC's for faster responses cause some people dont understand how a forum operates and they made the mistake thinking that they would get immediate responses.

We are here to help, but we are not here to risk others for anything. Even faster response times. People need to learn that a forum is not a Instant Messenger. they also need to learn that a instant response is not always the best response.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 11-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

i do agree with making the proposed changes it could open people up to spam. It's definately something that would keep this from taking off.

However, I like to think of TF as a Social Community rather just a forum. There is multiple different web 2.0 technologies in use; profiles, specialized discussion groups, private PM system.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

We are currently looking at some things that should add to the community feel of TF. vBulletin 4 will be out soon and it adds a LOT of new stuff. Larry is also looking at other avenues to help with community, such as making the home page a portal (again figures back to vB 4).

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 11-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by office politics View Post
i do agree with making the proposed changes it could open people up to spam. It's definately something that would keep this from taking off.

However, I like to think of TF as a Social Community rather just a forum. There is multiple different web 2.0 technologies in use; profiles, specialized discussion groups, private PM system.
Most of which is already alive and active on this very site.

Visitor Messages on profiles
Groups that can be created and joined freely and posted in
PM System for anyone over 40 posts

Just about everything you said is already active without having to have the possibility of people getting spam. We are a social community and those that want this information present have the option available. Those that do not wish to have this information present dont have it available. There is no reason to open up and publically display people IM information or Email information. Even having my email and Trotter's email listed in the rules generates so much spam mail that i have to delete my junk items at least once a day. Having IM info publiclly posted is not the way to go.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread