Auto-locking old threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tribalsun

In Runtime
How about having some sort of auto-lock feature enabled that would close a thread say after 2 months? This could be just for the "tech" forums only leaving "off topic", site feedback", "member introductions", "tutorials" etc etc as they are now.

The threads could remain for search purposes but closed to keep as one moderator has put it the "necro-post" from being resurrected. It's quite annoying to see current and relevant threads being pushed to the background in an attempt to gain higher post counts as is happening today.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

As I've said in another thread, this would be really nice. And like tribalsun said, it would be nice if the old posts stayed, so they could be searched.

I just dont understand one thing though..what does these old threads do to you? Pretend they are locked, what benefit would that be? What is the consequence if these old threads remain?

The consequence of these old threads remaining open is that someone comes along and fills pages with old threads pushing current threads off into the sunset. It's ridiculous when you see a page or 2 full of old crusty threads many times which have already been answered and resolved.

People come here looking for help and / or to offer help. It makes it very difficult when outdated threads from months back are brought back to life pushing the new threads off the board.

Not to mention that technology changes so fast...

Something that was up in the air six months ago is old hat now. Pulling up an obsolete post for the sake of being a butthead is disrupting to the forum in general.

A 60 to 90 day cap on inactive threads is plenty.

Keeping the old threads is a good idea for doing research. Or keep the ones that actually have useful info adn trash the ones that don't.

Most of the better forums I have been to don't keep their old threads, or not all of the old ones. One board I frequent has a 60 day policy. At the end of 60 days of inactivity, it is either deleted, or put in the archives (if it is worth keeping). For anyone who wants to see this in action, here's a link: http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

I would say 90% of people dont even try finding a related thread though. Im positive the admins are well aware of this. If anything, the only issue here is wasted hard drive capacity. Im not saying TF does this. But for forums, the more post the better. I would say 60% of post are already answered questions that are very simple. Decreasing that percentage would put a dent in TF activity. My friend i work with has is own forum, pure gaming forum. Its a small community, around 200-300 members. From a owners point of view, again the more post the better. This is a good thing for forums in a sense. Because even from a simple question, a howl new conversation can spark. Im not saying its a bad idea, but alot of activity comes from these threads.

That's why they should be locked, but not deleted. Anyone could still link to them, though.

I guess this is a bump, as well as an addendum.

There is some more necroposting going on. Can we see about locking the old threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom