Anyone heard of tapatalk? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Forum Admin, Announcements & Feedback
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2010, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Burn
Default Anyone heard of tapatalk?

Tapatalk - iPhone Android Nokia BlackBerry forum app for vBulletin phpBB IPBoard SMF
Looks nice and is pretty fast. Faster than using a full forum site anyways. I downloaded it on my droid and it's pretty sweet for mobile forum browsing.

It's free for any forum owner that wants add their site to it, maybe you guys could consider adding TF? It would sure make mobile browsing more convenient for those of us who do visit the site on our phones.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Anyone heard of tapatalk?

Indeed, I'd like to see this too

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

Yes, would be very nice to have tf on that.
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

I dont know how many times it must be said, we already have plans for a mobile version. Sorry dont mean to be harsh, but bringing up more ideas on "what can be done to get a mobile version" isnt going to help us get to a solution faster when you present more options. All that does is delay getting a mobile version longer while we add that into the mix and see if it is any better for ALL devices. This includes things like the Wii as well which has a browser built in and can be used.

So i will add this to the mix and maybe now by 2050 we can have a solution while we contemplate yet another option. We were so close to just adding a moble based skin....now we have this to go over. I thought it was hard trying to get a mobile based skin added, now trying to get a whole add on. This is going to be a war. Larry hates addons more than he hates changes to the site.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

It's just a suggestion, Mak. Not a death sentence.

How old will you be in 2050? :|
Old 06-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Yes i know it is just a suggestion. But you have no idea what goes into "just a suggestion". We have to test it out on a demo site, we then have to make sure it works across as many platforms as we possibly can, then we have to make sure it works with the other things we have going on site.

It may seem like just a simple suggestion, but there is so much more work and thought and everything that is put into "just a suggestion" than you realize. Most ideas have to start somewhere and we have to come up with a plan of action to not only get it off the ground but get it running to the point where we are not fixing the issues caused by the implementation.

So what you take so lightly as "just a suggestion" i have to sit down, think really long and hard about if it can be used, how to get it going properly, how to over come the compatibility issues it may have with the other plugins we have and then how to get it working on site correctly so that we dont have any downtime.

Maybe that will help you understand why it is getting tiring hearing about a mobile aspect, as it is being thought about. But it is taking a lot of time trying to get it done RIGHT. So that it looks the same on all devices. Not just the new wave smart phones.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

You could just read about it and see if it sounds like a good idea. If you already are implementing something as that, tell us, and we'll shut up.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

It has to go beyond a good idea. A good idea never goes anywhere if you dont take steps to get it off the ground.

I know that i have personally said several times now about a mobile version.

Mobile version
tf.mobile.net
rss or mobile?

There is just 3 threads alone in this area about it. So it has been brought up, not more than 2 months ago at that by Office Politics. As i have said, it isnt forgotten, it isnt being neglected. It is a work in progress.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

don;t get your panties in a bunch guys. The idea was valid. it doesn't have to be added to the pool of ideas if it is not needed. but if it may offer a faster way to get it implemented then it should be taken into consideration. If not then it can be scrapped.
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

A mobile version is one of many projects in the works, just as Mak said. Actually, Larry has tried a couple of different solutions but they did not work or did not work well. There will be some changes coming (hopefully) soon, and this will (also hopefully) be a part of that.

It's just not a simple thing with a site this big.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote