Addition of new infraction category

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Due to the constant problem of necroposting, as well as a recent spike in this activity, a new category of infraction is being added to address this.

Any thread that is more than a month old should not be necroposted. If there is pertinent information regarding the subject, start a new post to address it. Dredging up old threads just to post some snide comment or a line of wit is not only bad etiquette, but causes a lot of confusion due the rapid rate of change in today's technology.

While the infraction has been entered into the list, it will not become part of general use until 18 May 2008. It may be used as a warning between now and then.

No, but asking about something that may be out of date should be done via PM.

Any thread that is more than a month old should not be necroposted.

Meaning the last post in it is a month old rather then the creation date of the thread, and this doesn't apply for stickies right?

Sometimes I am guilty of this because i click the links at the bottom of the screen randomly and forget to look at the dates :p I need to be careful now.

shouldn't it be ok if it was like the thing I did with ultimatesteal? :D
why make new threads when we shouldn't...but whatever rules will be will be

Drizzt5 said:
Meaning the last post in it is a month old rather then the creation date of the thread, and this doesn't apply for stickies right?

Right. Some threads remain active for quite a long time, but once it is over it should be left to rest.

DMo is looking into a plugin that will auto-lock threads after a specified length of time. This would solve the problem, and the infraction will be removed if/when it is put into use.

atomic tofu said:
shouldn't it be ok if it was like the thing I did with ultimatesteal?

The original author can post updates or additional questions to his/her own threads. This has always been the policy, and it will continue to be used.

The entire infraction system is to be used as a reminder, not a system of punishment. The main point of this infraction is to help people realize that dredging up old posts/threads causes many problems. While a general infraction could be used, making a specific infraction allows the mods to be much more specific.

Btw Trotter, you should also get a NoSpam! Plug in for the forum, so that its harder for the Spambots to get in

Oh I stand corrected then, that would be now redirect to Dave/Larry

(redirect.dll executed... argh I feel like such a dork for saying that)

Right. Some threads remain active for quite a long time, but once it is over it should be left to rest.

DMo is looking into a plugin that will auto-lock threads after a specified length of time. This would solve the problem, and the infraction will be removed if/when it is put into use.

Gotta make sure it doesn't screw up with stickes though, they should never be closed if they are there for recording benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom