What is minimum config of a web server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
NOTE: This is not related to TF :)

Question: If I get a server located on an OC-3 internet connection that is only a 1.26 intel CPU.... is that good or bad... as a web server?

other config info
1 gig ram and two 18GB SCSI hard drives

So, how much traffic can this server handle?
How many connections?
How many websites could it host?

Now, I know it all depends on the sites and the number of people hitting the sites, but anyone have any "data" or give an educated guess?

Do you think the low CPU has a negative effect?
If it was a 2 - 3 GHz processor... would it make a big difference??

thanks

As far as oc-3 goes, it ranges from 155mbps to 600mbps of dedicated internet connectivity, depending on the supplier. It's great if you need that sort of higer end connectivity. But it does come at a price as you well know. As far as traffic, it would depend on how heavy the site gets hit, but at 622mbps, I'm assuming it could do well.
In regards to how many sites it can host, then basically you need to know how much space is alloted to the site, and take away the servers os and all that good stuff, two 18 gig drives should be able to house a fair amount. But still, even if they had 30 gigs free, and gave 1 gig to each customer ..
When it comes to proc speeds, most servers have dual but one proc is not that much of an issue. IMHO you may find that response times will be a little off if there is heavier traffic as one 1.26 proc will not respond as fast as two.
My Quake server is on an old PII with a 333mhz chip and our average ping from the west coast to the east coast is 70ms so I imagine that a 1.26ghz proc would do fine.

Awesome....

Thanks for the info.

Any thoughts on: How many connections/users to a server RELATED to the Processor speed?

example:
10 con-current users downloading data takes up 10% of CPU.

or

a CPU of X speed can handle 100 con-current users on a server with no problem, with 200 response is slow???

THANKS

Larry this sounds good in theory, but you can't plan how much of a load on the server this website is going to have and only buy the minimum hardware to run it. Expansion, security (hackers, virus) , connection, stability, etc all contribute to it. I think you should ask your host what they are using now or ask in a webmasters/ hosting forum. TF has gotten pretty slow lately. the lag is crazy on my end

:)

well, i'm going to be the host... I'm getting a dedicated server and I was just wondering how much of a load I can expect for the hardware i was getting. Correct, if money were no object I would spend a lot :)
thanks

Again, this is not for TF....
in case anyone is wondering.

Well first I tried google, and all I got was http://www.simonstl.com/projects/tcpip/stepstrta.html

Personally, I think that's out of date lol, anyways.. I remember about 4 years ago when I had a server over at my dad's office. It was a host for MUD's and their websites. I was running a 1.4 athlon 512mb ram and 4 - 30g hd's (2 were for backup) anyways.. after a year of running the thing, I think I had some 15 muds I was hosting with an average of over 250 people a minute. Mind you this is only a MUD (text-based) so the load isn't as heavy, but I just thought I'd tell you my experiences, kinda help you to ballpark it lol.. whatever, good luck =)

wow... 250 at once on your config...that's pretty good.... AT least it sounds good :)

thanks

yea but regardless it was for muds which isn't a big draw on a system. That's why I was saying I dunno if you can compare it to web hosting, but whatever hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom