What are the differences between registrars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeece

Beta member
Hi... I'm shopping for a domain name. I'd just like to know, what are the "catches" or things to be aware of when buying one.

I know some registrars charge 10$ for a name, others 8$, others 15$, etc. Why the difference in price? IS there any other "side" services that justify the higher price? Or you just buy the name, and nothing else in all case?

A while ago i signed up for hosting where i get a free domain name. At that time i was young and stupid :) Anyways, wehn i decided to leave the hosting company i asked for my domain information so i can update my dns. The bastards told me that i couldnt get teh registrar information for 3 MONTHS. Luckily my domain didnt expire in that time, so i waited and finally got my information. Plus i sent an email im not too proud of :)

So when you register for a domain i suggest to you go to a top level registrar, like NetWorkSolutions.com or wehn you sign up with a host that offers domain names, MAKE SURE you read the agreement concerning domain names.

I use the hosting company below..

Hosting/Domain

Some companies offer hosting that comes with the domain name. Some companies say the give a free domain but require you to buy their hosting. A domain shouldn't cost $10. It's about half that much, but hosting can be $5 (or, it can be up to thousands).

Keep in mind that hosing and a domain are two different things.

Yup, I'm aware of that. I only want to buy a domain name (for now) in order to try and host it myself, on my 2nd computer that I'll run as a Linux server. I like experimenting. :D It's only a past-time and "for fun" project... Nothing serious nor business-like. I'll use this site mainly to share pictures and host stuff for my friends and myself when I'm at school. It's gonna host a small personnal website too. :)

If the home-server thing doesn't work out, I'll find an hosting co. That's why I just want the domain name, I want to be free and host it wherever I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom