web questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

baloon

Solid State Member
Do you know why in order to access some websites, I have to type in on the address line w/ www."something".com while some of them, I just need to type in "something".com ? And also there is some site that I only need to type in http:// (no www)? Eventually, my question is why there is such differences?

If I'm right, it has to do with the web host and DNS records.

I think most web host, by default, point www.name.com and name.com to the same place, while others do not.

I agree with Larry, i do think it has to do with the DNS. I believe that www is what is called a wildcard, meaning that the DNS would point a request to the same server, regardless of the presence of the wildcard. However, subdomains can be found in the same place in the adress as www, thus typing anything in place of that will may not work.

I also know this :) but don't exact know why it happens:

I register a domain at godaddy, just the standard process.
I have friend who registered at network solutions.

my domain name/url works with or without the "www"
my friend's domain does not.... SO I'm pretty sure it is the DNS??

as we know it means World Wide Web so it is important to be written so that the page is Found.

I pretty sure it's an option you can specify during your domain configuration. It must be specified other wise the computer would request the subdomain "www," which probably won't exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom