VPS vs. Dedicated host

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as RVPS, I'm not sure if their cPanel/WHM setup imposes any security scripts/programs, but I do know that the CentOS 4.4 template has an up to date webmin control panel install (their CentOS 5 template does not, I have no idea why, but yum update in the CentOS 4.4 template should upgraded everything to the latest 4 family software, which is still very much supported, I haven't seen 5 widely implied yet anyway), which has an easy Linux firewall configuration tool. For the most part, they have the standard routing/line firewall with monitoring services. Otherwise, I'd simply suggest following normal Linux permissions edicate(ex: don't set any files with permissions 777) along with securing your SSH (disallowing root access from SSH, and instead logging in as a standard user and elevating yourself to root/superuser when needed). Generally with a situation like that, your security should be all set. (If anyone knows more about this, or would like to add, please do so, I like to learn. :p)

I noticed you wanted Fedora Core 4, RVPS and many other hosts have it, but with most of the hosts I've been through it isn't supported nearly to the extent that the CentOS family is, which excels at server applications (as it is literally RedHat Enterprise Linux debranded.) Consequently, RVPS doesn't support control panels with their Fedora templates, and from what I can see host9 doesn't support it either. As it is from the RedHat family just the same as the Fedora project is, you really won't notice too much of a difference and should feel the same to you (unless bash has a different feel to it in Fedora that I don't know about).

Good Luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom