Tracker hosting, where do I start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is worried about hardware cause there are places where you can buy a rackspace server and just have it housed some place and pay rent to them for the housing/bandwidth. These places have a high input/output bandwidth to accompidate just about everything.

This site is just like that as well as at least 3 others i know of. The owner of the site also owns the server, but they have it housed in a rack space. Basically what kmote said above in #3.

So yeah worrying about hardware is needed, when you plan on buying a rack space server to get housed. As you will own the hardware and you will know about it. Just cause you wont have physical access to it at all times, doesnt mean that you never will. Even people who own rack space, if they are close enough, can go there and connect directly to their server in the rack.

Dont worry about it. We all make mistakes. Its all good.

I think a Pentium 4 would be pushing it. Trackers are useless unless there's a decent amount of active users, so I'm going to assume that you'll be looking for enough traffic to make your Pentium 4 slow things down quite a bit.

A dual core with 1GB might be a good place to start, as long as you can easily upgrade when needed.

I am actually not talking about colocation...
most places allow you to choose or configure the server rented
so it would be
2) dedicated - whole webserver, rented, full software configuration and hardware configuration

for example: Managed Dedicated Servers | Dedicated Servers | Dedicated Server Hosting | WiredTree
click configure and order, it'll let you choose your CPU (from Atoms up to Xenons), amount of RAM, hard drive size and even port speed (ie. 100Mbps or 1Gbps)

I think a Pentium 4 would be pushing it. Trackers are useless unless there's a decent amount of active users, so I'm going to assume that you'll be looking for enough traffic to make your Pentium 4 slow things down quite a bit.

A dual core with 1GB might be a good place to start, as long as you can easily upgrade when needed.
thanks
1GB is enough for the gazelle front end too?

still playing with Debian OS at the moment :p

The gazelle front end + the tracker will have the same impact given the traffic.
So basically it all comes down to how much traffic you're getting.

You can easily host the gazelle site on a pentium 4 256mb ram... just don't expect pages to load in a decent amount of time once you get more than 10 active users. Certain parts of gazelle will also take up more resources, such as bonus points. Any time there's a bonus point system, there are usually a bunch of calculations that have to take place every hour. Gazelle has to update to reflect the tracker status every few minutes as well. Once again, it really comes down to traffic.

I am actually not talking about colocation...
most places allow you to choose or configure the server rented
so it would be

for example: Managed Dedicated Servers | Dedicated Servers | Dedicated Server Hosting | WiredTree
click configure and order, it'll let you choose your CPU (from Atoms up to Xenons), amount of RAM, hard drive size and even port speed (ie. 100Mbps or 1Gbps)

thanks
1GB is enough for the gazelle front end too?

still playing with Debian OS at the moment :p

You and I both understand the difference between sending your own hardware to a colocation and paying a different rate for a selection of servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom