Tracker hosting, where do I start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat.Clown

I don't overclock
Please do NOT discuss torrents in this thread.
Only posts regarding the process of setting up a tracker is appreciated.
Thank you.

I am looking into setting up my own tracker, and would like some help.
this is totally foreign territory for me, so any help is appreciated.

here is what I have read so far

needs:
1. Dedicated host - Kimsufi - your range of dedicated servers from £19.99 / month! (C-05G) package. trying to start small and see what happens
You should not run your own PHP/MySQL tracker on a shared webserver. The CPU cycles it eats up (by the script itself or the database) usually causes the webhosting company to notice and suspend your account, or worse - they'll cancel your account in which you'll lose your website's online data (forums, user databases, etc.). PHP trackers should optimally be run on their own servers. This also applies to shared database hosts. This is not dice-rolling - you will get found out by your hosting company.
2. tracker client - what tracker client should I use?
Gazelle - I have visited a forum using the Gazelle client, seems nice!
phpMyBitTorrent - No idea, seems like its nice and well supported but do not have first hand experience.
any other suggestions welcome.

3. domain - buy one from godaddy.com?

anything missing?

again, I cannot stress this enough, no torrent hosting, torrent indexing... etc
"Trackers merely coordinate communication between peers" - taken from wiki
I just want to set up a tracker, that's it. no hosting torrents

(disclaimer: I asked Trotter prior to posting, and he okay'd it)

Just in regards to the domain, ICAN specify that the domain if used to break the law of the country it was registered in can be nulled that is why some or most of the major trackers host in countries with laws less aggressive such as the Ukraine, you might consider that before you spend any money.

Gazelle, Gazelle, Gazelle, Gazelle. If there is one piece of advice I could possibly give you, it's Gazelle. It is very quickly becoming the standard. It's so nicely structured and user-friendly, aesthetically appealing, and has plenty of room for customization.

Domain from GoDaddy is fine, but consider if your tracker will be used for legal purposes. If not, there are some other things you might need to consider. Feel free to PM me if you want some more thorough advice - don't want to go anywhere near the t-f rules boundary on this stuff.

Sorry that this doesn't help, but just curious....what sort of tracker? General stuff or TV shows/movies?
PM'd

Gazelle, Gazelle, Gazelle, Gazelle. If there is one piece of advice I could possibly give you, it's Gazelle. It is very quickly becoming the standard. It's so nicely structured and user-friendly, aesthetically appealing, and has plenty of room for customization.

Domain from GoDaddy is fine, but consider if your tracker will be used for legal purposes. If not, there are some other things you might need to consider. Feel free to PM me if you want some more thorough advice - don't want to go anywhere near the t-f rules boundary on this stuff.

PM'd

question, what level of hardware should I look for on the server?
single, dual, or a quad core? 1 GB of RAM enough? or do I need 2 GB?

A dual core should be plenty, and depending on the amount of server-side scripting and traffic 1gb of ram might even be overkill, but I'm not too sure on what trackers do--usually you see both hosting and tracking and for that you might need 2gb+ but I'd stop at 4gb for many reasons.

Then again there is a lot of awesome hardware out there that could easily be adapted into a server to fit your needs. If you'd like some help on any of this just let me know... I have a lot of free time lately.

Then again there is a lot of awesome hardware out there that could easily be adapted into a server to fit your needs. If you'd like some help on any of this just let me know... I have a lot of free time lately.
it seems like you aren't accepting PM's so I'll just reply here.
are you talking about setting up a server in my home?? :umm:

It completely depends on the amount of traffic you'll be getting.
Throwing out a random figure, if you have 500 or less active users, a quad with 1gb should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom