Tracker hosting, where do I start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably because I just signed up, you could start a site from your home but you'd need to have a static ip address. That's what I thought you were talking about doing because you were asking about hardware requirements. If you have a web host and a domain then you don't really need to worry about hardware.

It's probably because I just signed up, you could start a site from your home but you'd need to have a static ip address. That's what I thought you were talking about doing because you were asking about hardware requirements. If you have a web host and a domain then you don't really need to worry about hardware.
I need a dedicated server, not just a web host.
It completely depends on the amount of traffic you'll be getting.
Throwing out a random figure, if you have 500 or less active users, a quad with 1gb should be fine.
ok, so a Pentium 4 with 2GB of RAM probably wouldn't be a good place to start out with?

Web hosts are storage space rented out on dedicated servers. The difference is, if you plan to host this at your home then you need a static ip address. Most homes have dynamic ip addresses that change. Static ip addresses rented by your ISP ensure that your ip address doesn't change, and make it so you can host a site from home and have your domain name can point to your ip.

Renting from a web host makes it a lot simpler. There are a lot that allow unlimited bandwidth/storage space and allow you to use your own domain for free.

What I'm asking you is do you intend to have your physical server at your house or are you going to rent from a web host?

If you intend to do this from home you'll need a static ip address, a server (dedicated or not is up to you), and the domain name would be optional--it just allows people to type in MySpace instead of http:// 63.135.80.49 / (spaced to keep it from changing it to a link)

Way to be rude about it,
you are right, I apologize for the rude remark.
just trying to understand you better.
I specifically stated that I needed a dedicated server in my first post, with my reasoning along with it.
Web hosts are storage space rented out on dedicated servers.
web hosts are hosted on servers, shared with other people. which makes them... not so dedicated.
I'm really confused. Why do you need to have your own tracker in the first place?
answer me this first, why do people want to start their own forum?
or why do people want to start their own company?

edit:
sort of an update, I am just playing with Debian in Virtualbox right now, trying to install gazelle but failing :crazy:
that and searching for a dedi host

Dedicated Server == Server all to yourself, whether you build it or rent it from a web host.
Shared Server == Server shared by more than one user/site, whether you build it or rent it from a web host.

So what you want is a rented dedicated server in which case the site you'll be renting from will be the ones concerned about hardware right? The only thing you need to do as the webmaster is upload/download files and make sure it looks pretty as well as of course paying the rent on time.

The reason why I'm confused is that you are worried about the hardware when you're likely to never deal with any of that. Any computer--within reason--can edit a text file and upload it to a server with the right administrative priveleges, the hardware of your computer wouldn't matter much at all.

I did find some tracking software for you... not sure if you can make sense of it or not, but here's the link.

opentracker - An open and free bittorrent tracker

AKAIK there are four types of hosting:
1) "normal" hosting - space on a webserver, rented, limited software configuration and no hardware configuration
2) dedicated - whole webserver, rented, full software configuration but no hardware configuration
3) colocation - private webserver, you own the server but rent the space on the rack, full software and hardware configuration within reason (this is the one F.C means)
4) private - private webserver, you own the server and the location (your home, business or datacenter), full software and hardware configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom