Testing the speed of a website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
Hello,

Currious if anyone knows how to analyze or figure out why a website is slow?

I KNOW the following:
- image size
- amount of code, text, etc
- your own internet connection speed
- the web servers config or connection

I know about the basics and general stuff...

here is my situation:

I have a website using php and mysql and I think the site is a bit slow (for what it does, processes, etc).

I know it should not be a slow as it is... I think its something I should see or notice... but I can't. This site SHOULD be faster.

The general stuff is okay in size, etc.
Anyone know of a website or software that can run "test" to help figure it out?

The php code that runs... that should not be the problem.

something is just a little bit off... just can figure it out.

Thanks

PS. I truly wonder if it is just a lot of little things that add up to a general slow down???

Most of the time it depends on the backbone and the backbone providers. Sometime backbone providers can have difficulties, which makes connections in the data center where a server is hosted very sluggish and in turn, will make a website slow.

The amount and size of images on a website also makes a huge difference of course. Also, if the server is shared with other websites, that can affect speed. Not forgetting also, that running processes can cause the server to serve webpages very slowly or timeout.

I'm guessing you are on a shared hosting package with your hosting provider. I'm going to go into something (which i guess i really shouldn't.... Overhosting. Companies run out of servers and server space, or sometimes think they can pack so many websites on to a server and it will cope. One thing i've learned from providing hosting is to not overhost. I've never ever done it would never intend on doing it, but unfortunately, there are still companies who do.

Try contacting your hosting provider and ask them to switch you to a less loaded server. Or you could also go dedicated - More money, but much faster and worth the money.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT: Sorry Larry, went way off track there and forgot about the original question. I'm not sure of a website or program that can find out exactly what is going wrong. I'm sure there must be something that can do this., although it would most likely be a commercial product.

Sorry buddy, i think it's all down to the servers and connections that feed them at the end of the day

Thanks... after looking into this... I found a website that test several onsite features and gives good feedback, but for me... I already knew all the advice it gave :(

maybe it is just a server / connection issue.

Something I found, think is the problem....

I do a tracert to the webserver.... there is a hop that produces 150+ ms time.

Which leads me to believe that is the problem. the server and site are generally fast, but no from my location. maybe for people who don't have the same "hops" as I do.. they don't see the slow down.

:)

thanks though

ps. this was that site i used
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

yea I was gonna tell you to check the hops, but guess you got it. In general the only reason a website loads slow I thought was because of the server location... anyways, cool link, kinda fun to play with hehe

u'll know the estimated speed of page opening via the software u r using to develop pages

2: once uploaded, it depends on the host provider, how efficient their technology is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom