Small web server: Win 2k pro vs Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamp

Beta member
Please dont shoot me if ive posted this in the wrong section .

Ive got an old computer which I want to run as a web server. I cant remember the exact specification as it is in the attic but i know that it has a pentium 300mhz processor, and was last running Win 98. I have a copy of Win 2k pro (with sp4) and could easily get hold of a copy of Mandrake 10.1.

Which would be best for me to use? Object of the game is CHEAP

On my laptop at the moment I have IIS 5.0 running on XP pro, and it seems easy to use, and you can install PHP and MySql on it. Mandrake 10.1 comes with Apache 2.0.50, PHP 4.3.8 and MySql 4.0.18, which is pretty much all I need, but it would be nice to have ASP.net aswell. It would be used to host a personal website aswell as a (100 member+) forum.

Hope someone can help me!

Adam

Go with linux. It is easy and you can have it running for years at a time if properly configured.

IIS on Windows 2000 Professional & XP Pro wont be able to assist more than 10 connections at a time, also, wont be able to do virtual hosting (more than 1 website). BUT IIS on windows 2000 server/advanced server, NT4, windows server 2003 are able to connect unlimited connections and host multiple websites.

also, you can use apache on any of the above inclusing windows Me, 98, XP-Home and XP-Pro. and you'll get the power. configuration of apache is difficult (all text based)

though apache can assist all that IIS can. also, Apache's Tomcat module support JSP, but its different than apache itself. if you are comfortable in Linux and Apache, then this combination is more recommended as Linux itself is very stable. wont make you re-start your webserver for longer times. ( i remember a friend of mine was working as server admin on Unix, and he started his servber after 266 days, just for the sake, that lets re-start it now, else it was at that time running smooth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom