setting up a server with dynamic ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

U-Toast

Fully Optimized
ok, here were i am at so far:
have downloaded apache, installed, put some html files int the htdocs folder to test. then opened port 80. i can reach my site using my internet ip, no problems. even my friends can. The problem is i have a dynamic ip. I am thinking of buying a domain name for like 10$ a year. but it will redirect to a ip, but if i disconnect from my internet, and reconnect, my ip changes. Is there any way i can get the server to auto update the ip[ each time it turns on? Or what can i do? THanks

instead of buying a domain you can use a free service like no-ip.com or dyndns.org. they redirect users to the right address if you have a dynamic ip. You use an IP updater program that checks a server every few minutes to see if your IP has changed. if it does it logs into your no-ip or dyndns account and updates the IP adress. instead of users connecting to say 217.17.27.46 they would use john.dyndns.org

instructions are at http://www.dyndns.org/,

I have used No-Ip.com before for this purpose! Very neat. That would be a good way to go!

problem fixed, i have static ip now, it had to go into my router settings and change it. So now im good, it wont change anymore, i have tested it. Plus i found a good site to buy some domains for like 7$ a year at my-own-email.net thanks to larry

Any other suggestions? i dont want a subdomain like mysite.no-ip.com i want a full domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom