Painfully slow 'fibre' internet

zaka100

W͂Oͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕
So, my ISP is Virgin Media and I should be getting 50mbps or at least half of that. Well, for the past few weeks its been horribly slow at around a staggering ~2mbps down and ~6mbps up speed (i dont understand why upload is faster ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). I just came out of a csgo comp match frustrated that I got ~400 ping at some points. Is this due to some sort of 'maintenance' the ISP is carrying out? If so, why has the problem been persisting for so long?

Image:
P1VkoBZ.png

Note: Its kinda weird that sometimes every minute or so the down speed jumps to around ~20mbps for a brief period.

Power cycled router / modem? Are you wired? Do you have a router/modem combo, or separate devices?

Power cycled router / modem? Are you wired? Do you have a router/modem combo, or separate devices?

1) Nah, I'll try that when no one else is using the internet.
2) Wireless but I'm literally right next to the router with a strong connection.
3) I guess its a combo, because I do not have a separate modem.

Try wired.

Just tried it. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference really. The down speed is slightly higher but probably within a margin of error.

Edit: so, restarting the router doesn't make a difference.

Last edited:
Personally I would call the ISP and see what they say. You might be on a common trunk line that has XXX amount of people feeding of the same line, hence your speeds are not as advertised/what your paying for. Also, how old is your modem?

Back
Top Bottom