My site is very slow, is it the firm that is hosting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digital-angel

Baseband Member
Hi

I have a domain surfern.net, but this domain has nothing to do with the site, so i ordered a new domain that dreamhost is now hosting. It seems like dreamhost is very slow. It loads in 8-12 seconds when im trying to access it. I still have the surfern.net domain and i think sometimes this domain is much faster, but im not sure how to really find out. I get alot more ping when i ping the site www.networkcats.net then when i ping www.surfern.net, is this because the firm that is hosting the site is far from me or is it just because the server is just so damn slow?

Can someone go to these URLs and say what they think about the speed when they enter the site? Does it take a long time to load? ..and which one takes a long time to load? Is it both that are slow? The URLs are listed below:

The URLs are: www.surfern.net/e107 ..and www.networkcats.net

I would like to host the site myself, set up own DNS and web server, but i just havent had the time to do it yet and i dont have so fast internet connection either, how fast connection should you have to host a webserver? Lets say that the website would for example have aroud 10000hits daily. What kind of connection should you have then? Is 1mbit enough?

Setting up your own server is really complicated and no, 1mbit of bandwidth is not enough of a connection for around 10000 hits daily. I would try a T2 or 3 connection... that should give you enough power.

And yes, I did find that the surfern.net link loaded faster than the networkcats.net.

Okey. thanks for answering. So the site wasnt slow after you had entered the site? If thats the case, then good :) If thats not the case i have to consider find another firm that is hosting websites.

Remember that 10000 hits is not 10000 visits at all and a hit doesnt take up a lot of bandwidth.

Network cats is extremely slow. Both connection and the server performance. It takes 11 seconds to render the PHP files. So that server is either extremely busy, corrupted or outdated and slow.

EDIT, how many visitors do you get per hour?

Well, the network cats domain has just been registered, its not registered in even one search engine and isent even finished yet, but almost. So then it wont be so much visits there, but you can check: http://www.networkcats.net/stats.php for info about that. I havent got any good stats up yet in my control panel. The other site, surfern.net has about 30-60 visitors an hour.

There has been around 3,300 requests there (networkcats) since the site was registred and thats not much, so i dont understand why the site is so slow. It takes sometimes up to 12 or even 17 or 18 seconds to load the site here.

I just changed to dreamhost because i needed a new domain name and they have SSH which i like. Anyway, i havent had problems with surfern.net before and now its very slow! The other domain is also very slow. Mhm, can it be the CMS?

When i ping the domain from dreamhost i also get a lot of ping, so i guess i have to contact them about this and if its not corrected try to get my money back and register it the same place i did last time, but there is no SSH account there which isnt a good thing. Dreamhost`s SSH is also very slow. Wierd that they seem so professional which they probably are, maybe its just a small thing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom