Multiple Website Domains Behind 1 Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
Someone asked this question earlier in another post but the question wasn't really answered as i had hoped.

I read something about Apache vhost, but what if you're using IIS?

Is it possible to host multiple website domains behind 1 router using IIS? Is it just as simple as redirecting port numbers (other than port 80) for each site &/or computer?

i am running 2 sites from my home from one router on IIS. and can run 3 more freely (because of limitation of free DNS account).

on IIS, there is a thing called Host header. that actually seperates the requests coming on same port. if you want to use 2 computers using as a web server, then obviouly you cannot assign same port on one IP. in that case you have to use 80 and 8080. but as you can run multiple sites on one PC, why to run different PC's for each site.

hope u understood the concept of host headers.

Hmm, i get ya. I'll check it out in more detail. Thanks again, Blind_arrow.

I know you are asking for IIS, but I use Apache so here's how I do it (could be interesting for other people).

I have about 6 websites hosted on my server (singel IP adress)
All of them are running on port 80 wich is what you want cause it's the default port used by browsers.

All you need is different domain names pointing to you servers' IP adres. You can get free ones at www.no-ip.com

Apache will look at the domain name provided by the visitors browser, and it will use name-based virtual hosting to determine wich website it returns.

All you need to do is add this to your httpd.conf file:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin computers@yahoo.com
ServerName computers.com
DocumentRoot "C:\programs\Apache\htdocs\computers"
</VirtualHost>

and to add another website:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin dogsl@yahoo.com
ServerName dogs.com
DocumentRoot "C:\programs\Apache\htdocs\dogs"
</VirtualHost>

Hmm. Interesting.

Well for this experiment and learning project i am using two domain names that i already own (2 .coms). My registrar allows me to sign in and change my dns as i see fit. I haven't signed up for a dynamic dns service yet, but will do that as soon as i get this other stuff worked out with the server.

I would have no problem running apache as long as i can get my vb-asp scripts to work properly with no problems. See my other post regarding this topic. I have yet to delve into this so i'm unsure about apache right now.

So far i'm experimenting with IIS5.1 (ships with winXP pro). I've done some researching today on http header names and i have gotten some useful info. I've managed to figure out what it is i'm supposed to change, and assign. But i seem to be stuck...

I read that you should disable DEFAULT WEBSITE. Here's where i'm stuck. I did some searches on this and the info i'm getting is confusing. In "ISM" there is no easy "DISABLE" button. There is a way to STOP the default website, but i'm not sure if this is what i want. I read something about assigning default website to the localhost address, which is supposed to disable OUTSIDE clients from accessing the default website. I did this, although i am not sure if it worked or not, or even if this is what i really should be doing.

I created a whole new folder in C:\INETPUB, similar to wwwroot, but with a different name and inside this folder i created two new folders, each for the different websites that i am experimenting with. Now, when i look at the ISM, i clicked DEFAULT WEBSITE and added a new VIRTUAL HOST (i am assuming this is how i create a new virtual website). Here i assiged the new virtual host to the new folder and my new website shows up UNDER default website. There is no other way to assign/add the virtual host, i tried.

Just seems to me that the new website (virtual host) should have its own tree listing when i view it in the ISM, instead of it being listed UNDER default website.

Anyway, how do i disable default website like so many places have suggested doing?

What are the limitations of iis5.1? I read that you can only have 10 network connections to the site... what does this mean exactly? Does this mean i can only have 10 visitors to my site at one time? Does this mean that only 10 of my local network computers (all wired to the same network and router) can access the site at one time?

Thanks guys, for your help.

Ok, i managed to get this figured out. I found a good tutorial site that had answers to my questions. In addition, i downloaded and installed apache, with php, mysql, & perl and its working great.

For anyone who needs to know how to set this up (with IIS or apache), feel free to email me in the future and i'll be glad to show you how i did it (click my profile and send me a message or email me at ms673@hotmail.com ).

Now the search is on for a DNS solution. ;)

I haven't actually visited the no-ip.com website, but from what i gather, they give out subdomains. I'm not interested in a subdomain at all. I own a plethora of .coms and .nets, some of which have just been parked, so i'm looking for a dns service that will allow me to use my domain (subdomains = blah!). See my post regarding DNS.

Thanks, Major. :)

Yeah, i learned this after contacting them a week ago. No extra fee, no extra fuss. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom