Moving My Site? What about the links?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, thanks. I might leave some old content on the old site and just have a banner on it that says "We Moved" and have a link to the new site instead of a redirect. Thanks for the help! I'll continue reading the webs.com TOS.

Np once more and hope you do get through. That also seems like a good way to go, just putting a banner to let people know you moved and stuff...maybe after sometime then you can take the free webs account down and just proceed with your new domain :).

Yea i really don't understand exactly what is going on , what you're wanting to do, and how you're wanting to do things lol

Sounds to me like you want to just basically move the whole site over to a .com but the way most of those free website things work you're not actually using html/css. So in order to actually move your site you would have to have the html/css files to upload via FTP to the new site...

So do you actually have the html/css code to the current site or is what you have backed up from it just the text that's wrote on it?

Yes. I have acsess to a filemanager. I downgraded my free account to a basic HTML account so I could move it in the future. I am just worried about all the links going to the old domain when I get the new one.

ohhh okay... well then

the links to the site should be things like <a href="blahblah.html> and that would link to page/file "blahblah" as long as it's uploaded on to the directory with a FTP client. so if you're pages are like that it should be fine. but if it's coded to go to a whole site like <a href="http://www.somethinghere.com"> then you'll have to change all the links around ...

ohhh okay... well then

the links to the site should be things like <a href="blahblah.html> and that would link to page/file "blahblah" as long as it's uploaded on to the directory with a FTP client. so if you're pages are like that it should be fine. but if it's coded to go to a whole site like <a href="http://www.somethinghere.com"> then you'll have to change all the links around ...
What he said ^ and I think that is what I tried to explain but he already knows this.

From what I gathered it's not about the stuff he has in his website, it's about the external links linking to his website at current...he wants them linked to the new domain and wants to know what's the easiest way to go about it.

As suggested you can either manually edit the links (if you can) or just put a banner just like you stated before informing that you are moving to your new site and the old one would be closed in due time.

From what I gathered it's not about the stuff he has in his website, it's about the external links linking to his website at current...he wants them linked to the new domain and wants to know what's the easiest way to go about it.

Exactaly!:big_grin:

Yeah. I'm just going to put a link to the new site up on the old one. I think that will be the easy way to go for now. Thanks for all your help guys!

Exactaly!:big_grin:

Yeah. I'm just going to put a link to the new site up on the old one. I think that will be the easy way to go for now. Thanks for all your help guys!
No prob mate and hope you get through :). Just be sure to put a notice on the old site to link to the new...and also put a small notice on the new site that the old 1 would be closed down in due time. That way you won't really be breaking the TOS since you got info on the old site :) and well it's informative...when you are ready to actually make the switch the old site can be closed down.

It depends on whether you have relative links or absolute links.

Relative links would be referring to a document in relation to your root directory (as explained) so the link would look like
HTML:
<a href="mydir/myfile.html"></a>
Absolute links contain the protocol and domain as well as the path to the document.
HTML:
<a href="http://www.mydomain.com/mydir/myfile.html"></a>
If your links are relative then moving to a new host on a different domain will not be an issue. At that point it's just a matter of copying the files from your FTP and uploading them to the new server.

It depends on whether you have relative links or absolute links.

Relative links would be referring to a document in relation to your root directory (as explained) so the link would look like
HTML:
<a href="mydir/myfile.html"></a>
Absolute links contain the protocol and domain as well as the path to the document.
HTML:
<a href="http://www.mydomain.com/mydir/myfile.html"></a>
If your links are relative then moving to a new host on a different domain will not be an issue. At that point it's just a matter of copying the files from your FTP and uploading them to the new server.
Most likely it's the absolute links he's worried about. To my knowledge he's wondering how to get his audience to his new site if they're already linked to his old site via bookmarks/links/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom