Moving My Site? What about the links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestComputerGeek

Baseband Member
Hey Guys,

So I currently have a site with webs.com and I am using one of there free "username.webs.com" domain names. I plan to move my site off there servers and onto a more professional hosting service like 1&1 and also purchasing a domain name.

So my question is what am I to do about all the links I have built to the webs.com domain when I move the site to my new domain?

To clarify...

If I have a page... username.webs.com/artical123.html
How do I make it so that when users type that is they get redirected to newusername.com/artical123.html?

I know I could somehow use redirects but I currently have over 100 pages on my site and it would be a pain for me to go and add the redirect code to all of the pages. If anyone knows what I could do that would be amazing! Thanks!

It should be with respect to a root folder "/"
If you can see all the files, a simple drag and drop like procedure should work.
"/artical123.html"

But this is coming from my very limited knowledge of web site hosting, so I could be wrong.

It should be with respect to a root folder "/"
If you can see all the files, a simple drag and drop like procedure should work.
"/artical123.html"

But this is coming from my very limited knowledge of web site hosting, so I could be wrong.
I think I understand what you are saying but I know how to physically "move" my site to the new server. I am more concerned about old links that have the old domain attached to them. Thanks for the help though!

All internal links would still be intact if the pages were created via HTML and you coded them to find the exact page within the website and not the entire website. Not sure how to explain but it's like this:

For example purposes, you website name is example.webs.com
page you want to move jack.html which is located in the root folder.

If you typed/coded yourself and the link is "/jack.html" - then moving to another server, putting the page exactly in the root folder of the server should keep the link valid.

If the link is "example.webs.com/jack.html" then if you move the page to the new server...it would still be linked to example.webs.com/html.

As for moving all the pages, I'm not sure how to do that but you can copy all the files/folders onto your desktop (within a folder to save the structure) and then copy it back to the new server.

Edit: Also use the multiquote function instead of double posting, might get you in trouble :p.

All internal links would still be intact if the pages were created via HTML and you coded them to find the exact page within the website and not the entire website.
I understand that if they are just moving to a new server that if I link to that the way you described the links would still work but I am not only moving to a new server but I am changing to a new domain and I am more concerned about links to my website, not just the ones I made to other pages of my site within it. Thanks for the help though!

Also use the multiquote function instead of double posting, might get you in trouble .
Thanks! I didn't know I could get in trouble for that! =)

Well about links to your website, I'm not sure how to redirect it but can you just put a notice on the 'webs' account to be directed to your main website? Also if you know of any links that can be changed, you should change it manually to your new domain.

And yes you can get in trouble :p
4) No Spamming...
Along similar lines, do not "double post". Double posting is making another post directly after a post of your own. The edit window for member posts is 24 hours, so any post within this time frame should be edited into the earlier post...
for the most part double posting is not allowed. Double (or multiple) postings will be either merged by the mod staff, or simply deleted. Since double posting is also form of spam, warnings and/or infractions may accompany this action...
http://www.techist.com/forums/f4/announcement-general-forum-rules.html

No problem :). Hope you get through with your website and stuff. Be sure to read the TOS of Webs.com though, I think some free websites don't allow redirects or portals on their sites. They might allow it for temporary purposes but after a while would get closed down.

Edit: Not sure if it's that simple :(. Here's what I found regarding to redirects:
8. Content/Activity Prohibited...
o. creates and maintains a Website that (i) redirects to another web page or (ii) stores or hosts content for remote loading by other web pages;
http://www.webs.com/pages/terms/

Wait around and see if anyone has any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom