Legalities for file hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. tech

In Runtime
I'm creating a script that includes a feature for people to upload files and music which they can distribute to their users...

What are legalities for hosting files that have been uploaded by other users? For example, if they upload files that are copyrighted, how do I protect myself from getting in trouble for hosting the files?

Would it be better if the files are hosted on the account holders website and my script just links to them?

Any input would be great!

There are many legal issues with this. Since it is your site, your hosting and your hosting account it is upon you to make sure that the files uploaded do not conflict with any copyright laws.

It is no different for a site like youtube. They have to monitor all the videos uploaded to make sure that they are within the legal limits to upload. If not they are removed.

So in the end if someone were to report the link on your site you would be the one held responsible. You would get the notice for removal of the file. Not the user who uploaded the file.

It would be safer to just have links. That way nothing is hosted on your site.

The only exception would be stuff under some sort of open source or free distribution license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom