"Just Host" any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflehammer

Fully Optimized
I plan to start learning HTML and all that other web design goodness so I thought I would go ahead and get a domain/web hosting so I could practice using that too.

Web Hosting : Professional Web Hosting from Just Host

I found this site...it seems to be a good deal. only $3.45/month with their current deal and you get your domain name free for life( i know it's usually only like $7/year so that's not much savings..but still).

So yea...anyone have any issues with them?

Another question while I'm here amongst web design people :

What languages would you say are needed to have a decent website? I know html/xhtml is needed, javascript seems to be pretty well used...so what else is there that's recommended to know so your website is "nice".

It's the important part :)
HTML is just for describing what it should look like, javascript is for running scripts on the client side (it is run inside the users browser). But for all the other bits (accessing databases, uploading files, dynamically creating content, etc) you need something on the server side. PHP.

Technically good practice involves CSS describing what it should look like, not HTML.

HTML, CSS, PHP are the most important, in that order.

Until you have a solid grasp on those three (and possibly SQL), you don't need to know Javascript - it's super easy to copy and paste Javascript until you decide to start scripting for your own specific uses.

I know this seems odd but yea...what is the proper etiquette for like...copying stuff from other website? I know things such as this forum you have to pay for... and then things like the domain, ideas, and stuff like that is all copyrighted. But is there any rule saying you can't copy anything from the source of a page? Say you kinda like how they have some tables laid out and you wanna copy and mess around with it?

#2..explain domain name ownership to me. Do you always own it? even when you don't have hosting? Or do your rights to the name go away once you stop paying for hosting. That site I linked has a free domain for life.. so I was just wondering if that meant that..or like just as long as you have hosting for it?

#3 Would knowing java have any benefit when it comes to learning javascript? I am completely aware they are not the same thing...just curious if knowing java would help ease up the learning process of javascript. (I know knowing one language always makes the second seem easier..so I don't mean in that way, I mean is there any tiny similarities with them that could be taken advantage of by knowing java)

thanks in advance to whoever answers :D

Can't copy it if it's copyrighted.

AFAIK when the hosting company says that they mean that they will register that domain on your behalf as long as you are hosting with them.

Other than in the way you already mentioned, no. Java and javascript have similar names, that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom