Ideal webhosting for forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxiphon

Beta member
I'm mildly considering starting my own forum, and was wondering what ideally I should be looking for in a webhost?

Well, it actually depends on what kind of board you want to run, Perl Based, Php Based, Maybe you want a windows host, and you want to run an Asp Based forum.
I would recommend a Php Based forum, using a mySQL Database. The best FREE software out there is probably PhpBB, there are other forums out there, PhpBB is the one I like. But Invision was really great, I favored invision, but they started charging. There is also the SMB forums.
Hmm, I was going to type about Ikonboard, which I havent used in about 5-6 years. Last I saw, they were still using Perl, but I looked, and now they are using Php, so that may be another consideration for you. I am actually going to check them out now, because when I was first starting out with sites and forums, I favored IkonBoard over Invision just for the fact that I didnt wanna pay for hosting to support the mySQL database.

You also need to consider how much traffic, or members you're going to have. The higher the traffic, the more bandwidth you'll need. If you're going to have tons of posts, and stuff, you going to need more space.
Try looking for a host. The host I use is http://zephyrhosting.net (I dunno if posting that link is allowed, but im not the owner of it, im just sharing my experiences with them).
They offer 2gb Space, and 100gb transfer for $9/month.
The hosting is decent, hasnt gone down since I have had them for the past 8 months. Any problems, or support issues are handled in a timely manner. They give you an account with their support ticket system, and the tickets are answered fairly quickly.

If you're looking for more space and bandwidth than that, then you'll probably have to pay a lot more. But, what would be a good thing to do, is to go with cheap hosting, and a decent amt of space and bandwidth. Then after your forums grow, and people start to visit them more often, and they become busy 24/7, you can look for a new host with more space, and bandwidth.

*EDIT*
I checked the site once more, and downloaded IkonBoard, and they actually still do use Perl. I thought I read Php when I posted this, guess its not, lol.

You could probably start out on a shared host just fine. Avoid web hosts that oversell.

I would recommend starting out with phpBB2. I suggest the following:

MySQL 3.22 or higher
PHP 4.03 or higher
phpMyAdmin

Disk space / Bandwidth: Depends on how popular your boards are or will get. You can start out and get by with almost any sized account. Look for something around 100MB disk space, 1000MB bandwidth to start with. Make sure as your forums grow, your web host can grow with you (to a certain point). No need to start at an outrageously sized plan. Almost all hosts allow you to upgrade at any time (so don't pay for something you don't need).

Of course, when your forums reach a certain size, you will have to leave shared hosting and go with a VPS (virtual private server) or a dedicated server- but by then you will probaby know what you need there.

Good luck.

IMO php is best..i have a free one (i'm trying to install vBulletin as we speak) and its pretty good. Personally, vBulletin is better but either or.

Want a decent opinion

Dreamhost, thye have phbb2 automatically installable, and also, they have kick *** customer service in thare irc and support. Also, its only like 9 dollars a year for 20 gigs of space and 1tb of BW a month

and on top of that, php, mysql, its all thare

www.pwntnoobs.com, a site ive been working on, is hosted thare. Gimme a PM if you want a decent deal

Kubel said:
You could probably start out on a shared host just fine. Avoid web hosts that oversell.

I would recommend starting out with phpBB2. I suggest the following:

MySQL 3.22 or higher
PHP 4.03 or higher
phpMyAdmin

Disk space / Bandwidth: Depends on how popular your boards are or will get. You can start out and get by with almost any sized account. Look for something around 100MB disk space, 1000MB bandwidth to start with. Make sure as your forums grow, your web host can grow with you (to a certain point). No need to start at an outrageously sized plan. Almost all hosts allow you to upgrade at any time (so don't pay for something you don't need).

Of course, when your forums reach a certain size, you will have to leave shared hosting and go with a VPS (virtual private server) or a dedicated server- but by then you will probaby know what you need there.

Good luck.

Um,

talk to DOMO about pimping your site here, if you are

and also, i think your overpriced, very highly at that

I am extremely happy with hostrocket.com excellent support, feature rick and fast servers.

hello, well if you dont wanna pay(obviously!!) and you want a decent and easy messaging board, you should sign up for "invisionfree" at http://invisionfree.com/

its pretty simple, and for "starting" a forum this would certainly b gud:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom