I wanna host my own web page, but how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seria said:
18. What can I do that would protect my websever and other computers on my network from hackers?

18) Although possible, I doubt that that would happen. A firewall would not be the answer considering they are already accessing through port 80 which is already open. All I can say is to backup regularly.

-Dan The Man

yes.. well I mean I want to protect my parents computer from ppl trying to get access to information and stuff... is there a way to have 2 routers... plug all of the comps into 1 router. then that router is plugged into another router(this router would have the webserver attached to it) and then to the internet?

Seria said:
yes.. well I mean I want to protect my parents computer from ppl trying to get access to information and stuff... is there a way to have 2 routers... plug all of the comps into 1 router. then that router is plugged into another router(this router would have the webserver attached to it) and then to the internet?

That would be too complex. I would just leave it as is. I doubt anyone would feel the need to hack into a personal website.

-Dan The Man

k...

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP.
I think I am ready to go and get set-up now.

thanx again.

good work OIDanTheManIO and Seria. I'm sure this thread will help a lot of people trying to set up their own webhosting (including myself) and hopefully it stops people asking more questions about this same topic! :cool:

willsko87 said:
good work OIDanTheManIO and Seria. I'm sure this thread will help a lot of people trying to set up their own webhosting (including myself) and hopefully it stops people asking more questions about this same topic! :cool:

Thank you :D

-Dan The Man

OIDanTheManIO said:
you have to forward port 80 to your network IP address.

Im using an ADSL Router/Modem. Do I need to forward port 80 on this. When you say network IP, my modem IP is 10.1.1.1 and connected devices are 10.1.1.(2, 3) etc. What IP would I put in?

EDIT: Under my Port Forwarding option it asks for:
Private IP:
Protocol Type (All or TCP or UDP)
Private Port:
Public Port:

Yes, forward both the private and public ports to whatever your individual IP is on your network. Also make the protocol type TCP.

-Dan The Man

willsko87 said:
I'm sure this thread will help a lot of people trying to set up their own webhosting
That is the exact reason I continued the questions from 1-18. It would be easer for ppl to follow a continuous question thread rather than having several 1. 2. And 3. questions. I hope that this thread will grow far beyond question 18 so that it may help others even more than it has helped me.

(willsko87, your question is a #15b)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom