I wanna host my own web page, but how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OIDanTheManIO said:
There is no other way around this, you can not get a domain name for free.

I am not trying to get around it. What I am trying to do is understand Y they think they own domain names...

If you look into the history of the Unites Sates, the government purchased the entire western half of the country for 11 million dollars. They now “own” that land. Because they “own” the land they can “sell” it.

7c. Places like godaddy.com do not “own” (for example) SeriasWebPage.com”. So how can they “sell” it?
Even if they don’t “own” “SeriasWebPage.com”, how do they think they “own” a part of a “.com”, “.net” or “.org” etc. etc.

Why can’t I say that I “own” everything that starts with the letter “S” in the “.cc” domain. (It just seems to me like that's what places like godaddy.com have done.)

I believe that the ultimate answer to the #7 questions lies in #7b. I under stand what a domain name is and what a url is, so the question still stands...
Seria said:
“7b. Is this why:
Places like godaddy.com are the "phone directory" of the internet. I am not paying for the 'domain name', I am paying for 'url directory' service, right?”

Lets say I wanted to call someone but I donÂ’t know their phone number, I do however, know their name. The best thing I could do would be to open a phone book and search for that persons name. In the phone book, next to their name I would find their number... Then I would pick up my phone and call...

7d. Is this how the internet works as well? By typing a url in my browser, I am sending that “name”(website name) to all of the “phone books”(godaddy.com) in the world. Then when the "phone book" that has the name in it(has had that "name" registered by them) finds the “name” I am looking for, it tells my browser(phone) to call that number(ip address of desired webserver). Then once the connection is made I can view(talk to) the website(person).....

That is what I meant in #7b... I am paying someone to be the phone book I am listed in... I am not paying someone for a piece of intangible "land".

Anyway, questions that are more important than the #7's:

10. Lets say my website’s url is: “www.SeriasWebPage.com” and I wanted ppl to be able to get there by typing SWP.com or SeriasPage.com or whataever... Would I have to buy those names as if they where their own domain and then just point them to SeriasWebPage.com?

11. All of the computers on my network are attached to a router and then to the internet. I know that the connection speed for all of the computers will be bogged down by having all of the traffic of ppl accessing my webserver... Is there anyway I can avoid or minimize the connection lag for the other computers on my network?

12. What can I do to save my hard drive from being extremely worn out or even burnt up by all of the times it has to access the website data for all of the ppl accessing my site?

Seria said:
10. Lets say my website’s url is: “www.SeriasWebPage.com” and I wanted ppl to be able to get there by typing SWP.com or SeriasPage.com or whataever... Would I have to buy those names as if they where their own domain and then just point them to SeriasWebPage.com?

11. All of the computers on my network are attached to a router and then to the internet. I know that the connection speed for all of the computers will be bogged down by having all of the traffic of ppl accessing my webserver... Is there anyway I can avoid or minimize the connection lag for the other computers on my network?

12. What can I do to save my hard drive from being extremely worn out or even burnt up by all of the times it has to access the website data for all of the ppl accessing my site?

OK, let me just get this out. Your posts seem extremely confusing...whatever, ANYWAYS...

10) Yes, you can point any number of domain names to the same URL.

11) I doubt you'll get that much traffic to your website. It would take a huge load of traffic to slow down your computer and connection speed.

12) Same as #11.

-Dan The Man

OIDanTheManIO said:
OK, let me just get this out. Your posts seem extremely confusing...whatever, ANYWAYS...
Im sorry. I will try to be less confusing in future posts.

OIDanTheManIO said:
10) Yes, you can point any number of domain names to the same URL.
Ok, but that is what they are... just additional domain names... not extensions or “nick names”?

13. What exactly does the apache software do?

Like, your main domain name could be SierasWebsite.com and then you can have Siera.com point to it :)

The Apche software is required to run the server. After you download and install Apache from www.apache.org you have to forward port 80 to your network IP address.

-Dan The Man

14. Is www.apache.org my only option for webserver software?

15a. What is port 80?

16. Is godaddy.com my only option for registering domain names?

17. When I get a domain name like SeriasPage.com how can I get ppl to be able to e-mail me at something like: Seria@SeriasPage.com? and... would I use outlook express or something like that to view those e-mails?

Seria said:
14. Is www.apache.org my only option for webserver software?

15. What is port 80?

16. Is godaddy.com my only option for registering domain names?

17. When I get a domain name like SeriasPage.com how can I get ppl to be able to e-mail me at something like: Seria@SeriasPage.com? and... would I use outlook express or something like that to view those e-mails?

14) It's not your only option, but it's the best by far.

15) Post 80 is the default port all websites run on.

16) No, you can register with numerous other companies. Although www.godaddy.com is your best bet, another good one is www.1and1.com .

17) Your hosting company will most likely offer you at least one email address with your domain name registration. You can check it through your browser, have it forwarded to your current email address, or chekc it through Outlook Express. That choice is yours :)

-Dan The Man

18. What can I do that would protect my websever and other computers on my network from hackers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom